Salary Requirement For 186 ENS & 187 RSMS Visas

If your employer wants to sponsor you for a Employer Nomination Scheme 186 or Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme 187 visa, your employer needs to demonstrate that your terms and conditions of employment are no less favourable than the terms and conditions which an ‘equivalent Australian’ employee is or would be receiving. This includes showing that you are paid a salary that is at least equal to the Australian market salary rate for your role.

Your salary defined – ‘Guaranteed Annual Earnings’ (GAE)

As part of the application, your employer will need to disclose your salary, or ‘Guaranteed Annual Earnings’. Only certain types of payments can be included in the ‘Guaranteed Annual Earnings’:

1. Your base wage
  2. Any payments which are applied or dealt with on your behalf or at your direction (e.g. your accommodation or housing allowance which your employer covers and pays directly to the landlord)
  3. The agreed monetary value of non-monetary benefits (e.g. health insurance, car, mobile phone and laptop etc.)

The following cannot be counted towards GAE:

1. Any payments or allowances which cannot be determined in advance such as commissions, incentive-based payments and bonuses, and overtime (unless the overtime is guaranteed)
  2. Reimbursements
  3. Compulsory superannuation contributions. Guaranteed contributions to superannuation that exceeds the contribution that is required under legislation can be counted towards GAE

Demonstrating the Australian Market Salary Rate

Your sponsoring employer needs to demonstrate that the terms and conditions of your employment are no less favourable than the terms and conditions of employment for an equivalent Australian citizen or permanent resident.

If your employer already has an Australian citizen or permanent resident that is working in the same location and role as the nominated occupation (i.e. the role sponsored for the 186 or 187 visa), then your terms and conditions of employment need to be at least as favourable as this equivalent Australian citizen or permanent resident.

This can be shown by providing a copy of the contract of an Australian citizen or permanent resident that is working in the same position and location as your nominated role.

Your employer can remove all forms of personal identification from the equivalent Australian’s contract. If this contract is a bit old and the equivalent Australian’s salary has increased since the contract was issued, then your employer should include a statement which confirms the current salary.

You must be paid a GAE that is at least equivalent to the Australian employee’s salary.

Because DIAC needs to compare ‘apples with apples’, there are also components of the equivalent Australian’s salary which need to be excluded. Since your employer can’t count bonuses, compulsory superannuation and payments which can’t be determined in advance in calculating your GAE, these types of payments can also be excluded from the equivalent Australian’s salary. Once your employer has excluded these types of payments, it can determine the minimum GAE that you must be paid.

Beyond looking at just the salary, DIAC will also compare the equivalent Australian’s terms and conditions of employment and assess whether your terms and conditions are at least as favourable. This includes looking at various aspects of the employment contract such as the number of hours of work required, leave entitlements etc.

Relevant Industrial Award

Your nominated occupation may be governed by a relevant industrial award which will specific the salary that you should be paid. For example, a registered nurse working in Victoria will have his or her terms and conditions of employment governed by the Nurses Award 2010, including the salary that he or she should be paid.

You can be paid a salary higher than the level specified in the relevant award.

What if the nominating employer doesn’t have an equivalent Australian working for them?

Your employer can provide evidence of what the Australian market salary rate is for your nominated role and show that your GAE is at least equal to the market rate. This is generally demonstrated by providing Australian market salary survey data. This data needs to be relevant to the nominated role and the location where you will be working (i.e. market salary data, such as Hays Salary Guides, will usually give specific data for various capital cities around Australia).

Where do I find appropriate market data for my role/industry?

I’m not an expert at finding the Australian market salary data. This is really a task for your employer’s HR and finance teams. But I do get asked this question a lot. So here some of the resources that I use for finding market data:

Now the data usually provides you with a range for the Australian market salary rate for a particular role (e.g. $70,000 to $85,000 per annum). If your GAE falls within this range, or is above it, then the market rate requirement is generally met. If your GAE is at the bottom end of the range, your employer may be asked to explain why the lower end of the range was selected as the applicable market rate. The explanation may relate to your current level of experience, or your qualifications and skill set etc. For instance, the employer may argue that you don’t have some particular skills that are unique to the Australian market, and that you are paid the lower end of the market rate because you still need to acquire and develop these skills.

What if your GAE is below the market rate? Will DIAC refuse the nomination application?

Simply put, the nomination application may be refused if the market rate requirement is not satisfied. The case officer may contact your employer and let them know that this requirement is not met and ask them whether they would like to withdraw the application (or they may just refuse the application).

Professional Assistance

Need assistance with an Australian migration law matter? Please contact me if you require professional assistance.

See the feedback that we have received from our clients.

105 thoughts on “Salary Requirement For 186 ENS & 187 RSMS Visas

1. Aman

Hi PG.
    This is aman. Currently i m under RSM visa. Now my employer said he cant afford $ 50,000 per year ( whis is according to contract) he sponsored my as a manager. Is he can change my position. What would be the best solution for this.

2. Dk

My employer is paying me market rate salary which is 53900 but during last financial year in my one invoice our accountant did one mistake while making our salaries. So finally on my group certificate my total wages is 53820. All my payslip, contract, and everywhere else its 53900. Even in my account I received right salary. I don’t know how-come my PAYG has 53820 salary. Is it really a matter.
    Please reply

Hi DK,

3. Dev

Hi peng,
    I have applied 187 in last December. My questions is that how long it’s gonig to take and I’m offshore at the time.i have some outstanding credit to pay to the bank .is there any pblm on visa grant time.do the check credit history
    Pps reply

Hi Dev,
      Processing time is around 3-6 months.
      I don’t think the Department checks credit history.

4. Emma Jane

I’m currently waiting for my 187 to be approved. What happens at the end of the two years? Am I relived of my contract and able to live in Australia as a PR without the worry of having to organise another visa other than the citizenship?

Also, my immigration officer has informed me of the rules that on my current 457 visa i should be paid $55k pa. I am only receiving $53,900, will this have any impact on my pending 187 visa?

Emma

5. monique

Good day! I’m under RSMS visa right now and my annual Salary is $45,656 before tax. I’m from Mount Isa
    Queensland and working in (Franchise) Cafe/Restaurant as Duty Manager as stated in my contract. My question is, am i getting paid right? or it should be more than that?

​Hi Monique,
      The above post explains how you can check the market rate requirement. The Department should have checked this requirement if the visa has been granted.

6. Bianca

Hi Peng.
    I had understood for 186 I will need just 5 in Ielts in every component? and with 187 I will need 6 in each component? I’m right? what about the response time from immigration department ? is exactly the same for both visas?

Thanks for your help.
    Bianca

7. faisal

i have finished my cert 3 and cert 4 in metal fabrication engineering. I also have 1 year full time experience as a welder my employer wanted to sponsor me on RSMS Visa. Am i eligible for that or not and what is the minimum immigration package requirement for the welding job in, Geelong Victoria.

your help will be greatly appriciated:)

8. mil

I am doing PhD (research) in WA. My visa subclass is 574. My tution fee is provided by university and living allowance is provided by an industry in Australia. This is an industry funded scholarship. Now the industry is happy to sponsor me . But in my scholarsip contact it was mentioned that I can not work more than 20 hours/ week. So can I apply for 186 visawith 20 hours/week? Is it required full time employment? Industry is happy to do anything.

Hi Mil,
      You don’t have to be working full-time in Australia at the time that you apply for a 186 visa – there is no such requirement for the 186 visa. You can work FT after the visa is granted.

9. Deepak

Hi peng,
    I already have cert 3 in commercial cookery. My cert 4 in commercial cookery is going to be finish in feb2016. I have 50+ in pte in all modules. I didn’t have any paid experience as Cook . I have an employer who willing to sponsor me on RSMS.
    I just want to confirm am I eligible to apply for RSMS visa as Cook on the basis of above given information in march2016. Or there is any work (paid/ unpaid) required or anything else required. Please suggest me on this .

With great regards,
    Deepak

10. Janis

I am working as accountant and have 187 visa. In my spare time want to work in age care for extra money.
    Is it allowed with RSMS 187.
    Thankyou
    Janis

11. Reet

Hi peng.
    I am working on 457 visa. Just three months left to complete 2 years. My employer pay my super but not scheduled. He told me he will pay all super when he will apply my 186 visa. Is it okay.

Hi Reet,
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before I can advise on such an issue – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

12. abhishek

hi PC,
    I am currently on subclass 457. my employer is going to apply for nomination under 186 stream. I just want to know who can pay the fee for nomination? can I pay the fee for nomination with my credit card or my employer has to??? thanks PC

Hi Abhishek,
      Both the employer and the applicant can pay for that fee – there is no legal requirement for the employer to pay for this.

13. Jatinder Singh

Deari Peng,

I work for a finance company as a branch manager. Its a small company where i manage a team of 6 people. I am applying under the occupation called “financial institution branch manager”. My gross salary is $56000 pa or $1075 per week. Now if i go to job outlook or abs websites they indicate that the average is $1400. If i go to fairwork.gov.au they say the minimum wage is $51,300 which is less that threshold amount of $54000 i guess.

My question is can we still use the fairwork calculation to compare my earning with the minimum market rate according to the fair work ombudsman, even though its less than the threshold amount?

Ill be very grateful to you if you can help me with this.

Kind Regards
    Jatinder

Hi Jatinder,
      Sorry we would need to complete an assessment before we can determine the appropriate salary for your role – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

14. Syed naqvi

For applying rsms 187 in a business like dominos how sure can I be if the visa will be granted and how much should the salary package be and what kind of designation it is allowed to apply visa in nsw

Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to your visa options – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

15. Kritika

I applied for RSMS visa last month with the same employer whom I am working for last six month. Just before the application employer gave me appointment letter maintaining my annual salary now i am wondering the salary will be effective from the date of visa approval or the date of appointed (application date)?

Cheers
    Kritika

16. Leah

I sumibt 457 in June 2013, then the new salary maket rate got increased in July and my 457 granted in August. So I have had signed contract with employer before the rate increased. So now i have finished 2 years and I am apply for 186. In this case, is that an issue if my annual salary is not reaching the market rate? I am looking forward to your reply and thank you so much for your time!
    Leah

Hi Leah,
      Market rate requirement does apply to the 186 and 187 visas.
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can advise on this matter – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

17. Jeffrey

Hi there,

I was just wondering, does TSMIT apply to subclass 187 too or TSMIT only apply to people who is applying for 457 visa?

I am a graduate accountant who is currently on a 485 visa and is currently being paid $43,000. I just have to prove to the immigration that i am being paid the same amount as the australian resident or permanent resident only right?

Thanks in advance

18. Sam

Hi there,
    I am working on a rsms visa but my employer does not pay me the required salary rates and the work time is also more than that in my visa liabilation.can I change my job to another regional area without affecting my vosa

19. Taufique Hossain

Dear Peng,
    I will be attending as PhD student in NSW next year in student visa. As phd students are allowed to work full time will it be posibble for me to obtain ens if I get a fulltime job? I have 4 years of experience as a University Lecturer at my home country. Thanks in advance.
    Taufique

20. jyoti

Dear Pang,
    I applied Rsms visa and i got my visa march 2013 i worked there as a full time 2 years job but he didn’t give me a salary what it was in contract letter and whenever i asked him to give me a salary as per contract he told me to report immigration. Now I have decided to go to talk lawyer is that right decision can you please explain what can i do.
    As per contract letter salary mentioned $55000 but he gave me $30000

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

21. Jing

I worked for my sponsor for just 2 year and I am preparing my 186 visa application (457 transition stream). However my income wasn’t paid by sponsor as the payslips indicating a different company name and ABN. The different company is a management company paying income to me on the behalf of my sponsor. Is it acceptable to DIBP? Thank you for your reply in advance.

Hi Jing,
      I don’t think that this is allowed. for the TRT stream.
      I would need to complete an assessment before I can determine if you can apply under the TRT stream – please see contact us page.

22. Bimal khambhati

Dear peng,
    I am goong to finish my 2 years on 457 visa in august 2015 as a cook
    My employer is ready to apply for my ens 186 but he never paid me any super annuation and what are thw main documents, does the case officer check?
    How long does it take if all my documents including medicals ready??
    Pls,..

Hi Bimal,
      Processing time is around 3-6 months.
      Please see contact us page if you need us to complete an assessment and advise in relation to the documents required.

23. Syed

Dear Peng,

I work for aged care facility as lifestyle coordinator. I want ask my employer for ENS or RSMS as its full time position but i am not sure what salary i should be paid for this occupation. my pay rate is AUD 21 to 22 only 75 hours a fortnight will i be eligible for ENS or RSMS

Hi Syed,
      We would need to complete an assessment before we can answer this query – please see contact us page.

24. Rana

I am on a 457 visa and going to complete 2 years in 22 September 2015 with the same employer in Perth/WA and under the same title.
    I earn gross $57200 per year in an occupation of “Public relations professional”, and on my 457 visa grant the GAE is $62350:
    Is the difference here would be my superannuation or the company car given to me?
    Second, I don’t know if I need to apply 186 or 187 form for the P.R. they are almost the same and I am confused.
    Do you think that, Should my employer increase my salary to satisfy the market survey in this sep 2015? or how to show that he is paying equivalent to another Australian citizen (maybe some other expenses, please suggest)

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Best Regards,

Rana

Hi Rana,
      You should be able to check your employment contract for a breakdown of your salary.

25. Eunice

I wanted to get your advice regarding Market Salary rates for General Practitioners given that they earn a percentage of Medicare rebates rather than a set salary. How can an employer demonstrate that they have met the market salary rates for that position given that the GAE is not a ‘set’ amount but rather a percentage? Does the employer have to state an amount they are willing to guarantee for the nomination to be approved?

Look forward to your advice.

Kind Regards
    Eunice

Hi Eunice,
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to the market rate – please see contact us page.
      Yes the nomination form does state a specific salary.

26. Wasim

Hii mate , my employer is ready to sponsor me on 187 visa , but he is not able to pay me a minimum package as set up by immigration , and also he dont have any full time person in his business so that he can show as an example , do i can still apply for it ?

Thx
    Wasim

Hi Wasim,
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to your visa options – please see contact us page.

27. Nima

Hello
    I am a cafe owner and have sponsored a manager on RsMS. The manager was signed at $50,000 contract us to downturn in economy business is really slow. Am I able to reduce his salary?? I have a provision in contract which says I could if the business is slow. What are the immigration implications. Cause when we sponsored her things were different and I could afford that salary. But not anymore.
    The employee is threatening to report me to immigration if I reduce his salary. And is not willing to work more that 38 hours.
    Please advise

Nima

Hi Nima,
      If the visa is already granted, then I don’t think that there will be any consequences under migration law if the salary is reasonably reduced.

28. sukhvinder

I am applying visa online just wanna make it confirm that what is the minimum salary for chefs in victoria for ens visa 186.I am currently working in melbourne same company for four years . I have just finished my 2 years time period on 457 visa .My gross income was 58000 in 2014.
    Please advise me .

Hi Sukhvinder,
      As explained above, you need to be paid the ‘market rate’ for your role, which is variable depending on your circumstances:

Your sponsoring employer needs to demonstrate that the terms and conditions of your employment are no less favourable than the terms and conditions of employment for an equivalent Australian citizen or permanent resident.

If your employer already has an Australian citizen or permanent resident that is working in the same location and role as the nominated occupation (i.e. the role sponsored for the 186 or 187 visa), then your terms and conditions of employment need to be at least as favourable as this equivalent Australian citizen or permanent resident.
      This can be shown by providing a copy of the contract of an Australian citizen or permanent resident that is working in the same position and location as your nominated role.
      Your employer can remove all forms of personal identification from the equivalent Australian’s contract. If this contract is a bit old and the equivalent Australian’s salary has increased since the contract was issued, then your employer should include a statement which confirms the current salary.

Your employer can provide evidence of what the Australian market salary rate is for your nominated role and show that your GAE is at least equal to the market rate. This is generally demonstrated by providing Australian market salary survey data. This data needs to be relevant to the nominated role and the location where you will be working (i.e. market salary data, such as Hays Salary Guides, will usually give specific data for various capital cities around Australia).

29. delphine

Hi there,
    I just obtained my permanent residency through my sponsorship (class 186) I would like to know if it is important to stay on the same wage as while sponsored or at this stage there is no more minimum de get pay?
    Delphine

Hi Delphine,
      The employer does make the commitment to provide employment on the terms specified for the visa application. I’m not sure if the Department would take action if they found out that the visa holder is paid a lower salary.

1. delphine

Thanks for you answer,
        Do you think it would be a problem if after only a couple of weeks after I obtained my visa, I start working only 4 days instead of 5 and due to this fact my wage is lower?

I don’t think that this would be an issue – but this is just my opinion as only the Department can make a decision on this.

30. stella

Hello Peng

thank you a lot for providing great assistance for us.

i have an enquiry regarding to salary for 187 RSMS. Should it be looked into the whole industry in Australia or can be specifically looked into within an area?

for example, if a retail manager position in the whole industry average salary is $58,000. however, in the regional area, the average salary could be only $49,000.

if I was going to work in the regional area, shall I be paid equally to %58,000 or $49,000 ??

Stella

Hi Stella,
      You should demonstrate the market rate that applies to that particular area (if such data is available). You can find more general data if you can’t find data that applies to that specific area (e.g. use market data for regional NSW if there is no data for that particular region).

31. madushan

I am holding 457visa for 2.5years. My wife in overseas and she does not holing any australian visa. i hoping to applied SUB 186visa therefore

1. is it possible to put my wife to sub 186 visa under my application
    2. how could i calculate salary ( is it including weekend panalty and night shift allownce)

Hi Madushan,
      1. Yes it is possible to include a dependent wife.
      2. Salary requirement is explained in the above post. Calculating your actual salary is not a migration law question.

32. hari

to apply ens 186 through 457, how much salary need to be paid for the cook job? with 457 I am getting 50000 now which is started before july 2012. some of the immigration agent saying we can keep the same salary and other suggesting to increase up to 54000.
    thanks.

Hari

As explained in the above post, you need to be paid the market rate for your role: If your employer wants to sponsor you for a Employer Nomination Scheme 186 or Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme 187 visa, your employer needs to demonstrate that your terms and conditions of employment are no less favourable than the terms and conditions which an ‘equivalent Australian’ employee is or would be receiving. This includes showing that you are paid a salary that is at least equal to the Australian market salary rate for your role.

33. Manisha

Hi peng,

Just want to know, to apply for 186 visa through 457 stream immigartion just check gross income or something else?

Hi Manisha,
      They do check your salary but this is only one of the eligibility requirements that they check.

34. John

As per my job contract my base salary is $165K plus 40% project allowance ~$70K. My tax statement for last year states taxable salary more than $182K which is more than top individual tax rate set by ATO. Also the coming financial year tax statement would indicate more than that. Can I be eligible for the exemption for skills assessment in case I go for 186 Direct entry visa?

Appreciate your quick response.

John.

Hi John,
      If payment of the allowance is conditional on you completing project work, then this cannot be counted towards GAE. If this payment is guaranteed, then you may be exempted.

35. Sresta

H
    I am looking forward to applying ENS visa subclass 186 from offshore under the Architect-Draft Person role.

Currently I’m negotiating the annual salary with my employer who is my sponsor as well.

I am not sure how much figure to put in as a Guaranteed Annual Earnings that meets the minimum salary requirement for he above visa.

Please advise.

Sresta

Hi Sresta,
      As explained in the above post, you need to be paid the market rate for a Architect-Draft Person. I’ve never nominated a person into such a role so I’m not sure what the Australian market rate for this position is.

Hi Tiffany,
      In order for your nominated role to be sponsorable under a 457 visa, your sponsoring employer needs to show that the Australian market rate for your role is at least equal to TSMIT (which is currently AUD $53,900 per annum). You will note that with this eligibility requirement (which is addressed as part of the 457 nomination application that your sponsoring employer prepares and lodges), the case officer is comparing the Australian market salary rate for the nominated occupation, not your actual salary, against TSMIT. If the market rate for the nominated role is below TSMIT, then the position itself is not sponsorable under a 457 visa.

Consequently, even if your (proposed) guaranteed annual salary is above the market rate and TSMIT, if the market rate itself is below TSMIT, then the position is not sponsorable.

36. Shahid

Hello Peng!!!

I am currently holding Skilled Graduate Visa.My employer is wishing to sponsor me on RSMS.As a Trade qualified person i have been hired in a company on second year apprentice wages.Since my course was only for 18 months he started me with second year wages.He pays same amount to Australian Citizens and Residents who obtain same qualification.What wages should i be assessed against?Pay rates that is decided by companies policy or they would ask for pay rates as professional trade person.

Hi Shahid,
      If you can demonstrate that your salary is the same as the salary that is paid to an Australian that is working in the same role and location as you, then you should satisfy the requirement. That is how your wages will be assessed.

37. Larry

Just a clarification about GAE

Base annual earning is $48, 394.84 as stated in organisation EBA

While there is another ON CALL allowance of $3,825.12 making total of $52,219.96 par annum.
    My understanding is that this exceed the benchmark of $51,400 as stipulated by DIAC.

My concern is the ON CALL which is telephone or paging system outside the normal hours of duty, though is guaranteed as it is clearly stated in my of job description.

Could the ON CALL allowance earned outside normal hours of work but part of my job description be included in ‘Guaranteed Annual Earnings.

38. Nicolas

HI PG !!

I just got a 457 visa sponsorship, before that i worked for him casual et payd me per hours, and now in my contract he say he pay me 55000 per year before tax, I would like to know if it’s possible to negociate with him to earn more and if there is ceiling, because he say he can’t pay me more because of the immigration,if he pay me more he say the immigration won’t be agree and visa visa ceased!

So what is the minimum and maximum and does it need to do another contract everytime my salary change?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

thx you

Hi Nicolas,
      You are free to negotiate, there is no ceiling. As explained above, the minimum is the market rate – there is no maximum.

39. Jennifer

Look forward to your advice.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
      I don’t think that you can count that percentage because it is variable in nature. Yes the employer needs to confirm the GAE that you will be paid in the nomination application – and you’ll need to confirm this in the visa application.