Market Salary – 457 Visa Holders & Applicants

One very common question that we get from 457 visa holders is – what should I be paid? I can’t tell you the exact amount that you should be paid. However, I can outline how you can determine the salary amount that you should be paid under migration legislation.

This article outlines the obligations that are imposed on sponsors / employers under Australian migration law in terms of salary payment for 457 visa holders. Hence, if your employer is not paying you this salary, they are in breach of migration law and the obligations that are imposed on employers / sponsors.

Before you ask what you exact salary should be, please note: this post pretty much explains that I can’t tell you what your exact salary should be. However, you should be able to work it out yourself by researching what your ‘equivalent terms and conditions of employment’ should be.

Equivalent terms and conditions – ‘Market Rate’ requirement

Your employer needs to demonstrate that your terms and conditions of employment are no less favourable than the terms and conditions which an ’equivalent Australian’ employee is or would be receiving. This includes showing that your ‘Guaranteed Annual Earnings’ (“GAE”) are at least equal to the Australian market salary rate for your role.

The sponsor must pay you the GAE that is specified in the nomination application or the ‘market salary rate’ as it varies over time, whichever is greater. This means that your sponsoring employer is obligated to periodically review your salary and increase it as the Australian market rate for your role increases.

Also, for an occupation to be sponsorable under a 457 visa, the Australian market rate for the role must be equal to or above the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (see below further explanation).

The nominating employer does not need to show that the ‘market rate’ requirement is met if the applicant’s GAE is $250,000 or greater. This is an exemption to this requirement.

What can be included in ‘Guaranteed Annual Earnings’

Guaranteed Annual Earnings (GAE) can only include the following types of payments and allowances:

1. Your base wage
  2. Any payments which are applied or dealt with on your behalf or at your direction (e.g. your accommodation or housing allowance which your employer covers and pays directly to the landlord)
  3. The agreed monetary value of non-monetary benefits (e.g. health insurance, car, mobile phone and laptop etc.). This is just the agreed monetary value as agreed between yourself and your employer

The following cannot be counted towards GAE:

1. Any payments or allowances which cannot be determined in advance such as commissions, incentive-based payments and bonuses, and overtime (unless the overtime is guaranteed)
  2. Reimbursements
  3. Compulsory superannuation contributions. Guaranteed contributions to superannuation that exceeds the contribution that is required under legislation can be counted towards GAE

Demonstrating the Australian ‘market salary rate’

Your sponsoring employer needs to demonstrate that the terms and conditions of your employment are no less favourable than the terms and conditions of employment that would be provided to an ‘equivalent Australian citizen or permanent resident’. This can be shown by providing a contract of an Australian citizen or permanent resident that is working in the same position and location as the role that you are nominated to perform for the purposes of the visa application.

Because the Department needs to compare ‘apples with apples’, there may be components of the equivalent Australian’s salary which need to be excluded. Since your employer can’t count bonuses, compulsory superannuation and payments which can’t be determined in advance in calculating your GAE, these types of payments can also be excluded from the equivalent Australian’s salary. Once your employer has excluded these types of payments, it can determine the minimum GAE that you must be paid.

Beyond looking at just the salary, the Department will also compare the equivalent Australian’s terms and conditions of employment and assess whether your terms and conditions are at least as favourable. This includes looking at various aspects of the employment contract such as the number of hours of work required, leave entitlements etc.

Relevant industrial award

Your nominated occupation may be governed by a relevant industrial award which will specify the salary that you should be paid. For example, a registered nurse working in Victoria will have his or her terms and conditions of employment governed by the Nurses Award 2010, including the salary that he or she should be paid.

You can be paid a salary that is higher than the level specified in the relevant award.

No equivalent Australian working

Your employer may not have an Australian citizen or permanent resident that works as an employee in the same role and location as your nominated role.

If this is the case, then your employer can provide evidence of what the Australian market salary rate is for your nominated role and show that your GAE is at least equal to the market rate. This is generally demonstrated by providing Australian market salary survey data. This data needs to be relevant to the nominated role and the location where you will be working (i.e. market salary data, such as Hays Salary Guides, will usually give specific data for various capital cities around Australia).

Finding appropriate market data for your role/industry

This is really just a matter of completing research. So here some of the resources that I use for finding market data:

The market data usually provides you with a range for the Australian market salary rate for a particular role (e.g. $70,000 to $85,000 per annum). If your GAE falls within this range, or is above it, then the market rate requirement is generally met.

You can also rely on job advertisements for similar roles in order to demonstrate the Australian market salary rate for the nominated role, as long as the advertisement relates to a role that is in the same location as the nominated role. You can use online advertising such as Seek, or local advertising such as newspaper advertisements.

What if your GAE is below the ‘market rate’?

Simply put, the nomination application may be refused if the equivalent terms and conditions of employment requirement is not satisfied. The case officer may contact your employer and let them know that this requirement is not met and ask them whether they would like to withdraw the application (or they may just refuse the application).

The Department may approve a nomination application where the applicant’s GAE is below the market rate. I have seen this happen when the difference between the applicant’s GAE and the market rate is relatively small.

Such nomination applications are always more risky because you are not satisfying one of the eligibility requirements. The employer can provide a statement which explains the short-fall between the applicant’s GAE and the market rate. The explanation can draw on things such as the applicant’s experience level, qualifications and/or skill set etc. But there is a very real possibility (and I would say likely possibility)  that the Department will refuse such an application.

Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold

The Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (‘TSMIT’) only applies to 457 visas. This threshold is set to ensure that all 457 visa holders have sufficient income to support themselves.

In order for your nominated role to be sponsorable under a 457 visa, your sponsoring employer needs to show that the Australian market rate for your role is at least equal to TSMIT (which is currently AUD $53,900 per annum). You will note that with this eligibility requirement (which is addressed as part of the 457 nomination application that your sponsoring employer prepares and lodges), the case officer is comparing the Australian market salary rate for the nominated occupation, not your actual salary, against TSMIT. If the market rate for the nominated role is below TSMIT, then the position itself is not sponsorable under a 457 visa.

Consequently, even if your (proposed) guaranteed annual salary is above the market rate and TSMIT, if the market rate itself is below TSMIT, then the position is not sponsorableThe 457 nomination application will be refused.

The Department generally increases TSMIT every year in accordance with inflation.

• our willingness take on the difficult cases and achieve the outcomes that our clients want
  • our willingness to cater our services to the precise needs of our clients, including working outside of normal business hours and providing limited assistance where needed such as  helping to resolve a specific issue or issues with a particular application
  • our ability to assist business and private clients from all over Australia and the world! We are based in Sydney NSW, however, we have assisted business and private clients from all over Australia and the world. We have never had issues with assisting clients that we don’t get to meet in person

* Subject to completion of assessment, and confirmation that we can assist with the application.

203 thoughts on “Market Salary – 457 Visa Holders & Applicants

1. Sis

Hi Pheng.
    Thanks again for your response.
    Is that ok to change the term in GAE after I get my 457 visa
    approved as I just understand from your website that GAE can include accomodation paid by the employer and the amount is still above the TSMIT.

Hi Sis,
      The Department would need to approve the new salary if the employer is looking to decrease the salary from the terms that the Department approved – 457 nomination application would be required.

2. Sis

Thanks for all helpful information.
    My employer has lodged the nomination and 457 visa for me. How long will it takes for both applications. Thanks

3. Hamza

I am on 476 Visa which is a Recognised Skilled Graduate, and i wanted to apply 457 visa since i was with my employer for 8 months now. But my annual sallary is 40k, Since i didn’t had any previous experience. So, do you think I will have a problem applying 457?

Thank you, and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi Hamza,
      Please see above post which explains the salary requirement for the 457 visa and nomination applications.

4. Ana

HI Peng

Me and partner were offered a 457 sponsor. The salary will be 65000$Au +super for me and 90000$AU+super for him.

Could you tell us approximately what will be our salary after paying taxes every month?

Ana

5. Sukirti

Could you please clarify me about on the job training, does it means we can apply for visa on behalf of certificate 3 and after we get visa we can do training while doing our job.

6. Sukirti

Good Morning Peng,

My friend did Certificate 3 in commercial cookery and diploma in Hospitality Management, now she want to apply for 457 visa as a cook. Is she eligible for that or do she need 2 year work experience or further study in commercial cookery.

Hi Sukirti,
      She may need a Certificate III and 2 years of experience or on-the-job training, or Cert IV.

7. Sis

Hi Pheng.

I am under student visa at the moment and decided to discontinue my study and appy for 457 visa sponsored by my current employer.
    Will it affect the 457 visa decision if I do not complete my study when apply 457 visa.

Hi Sis,
      Sorry I would need to complete an assessment before I can advise on such a matter – please see Contact Us above information in relation to our consultation service.

8. Andy

HI Pang

My lawyer initially advised me to put down ‘Financial Investment Manager’ 2222312, as nominate occupation for 457 and asked me to do skill assessment via VETASSESS. As I found out I need a bachelor degree to qualify to apply for FIM assessment which I don’t have. She then suggested me choose an occupation by myself from the CSOL to match my educational qualification….

Because of that, I have consulted my friend who is also applying for 457. he said I may not need to do VETASSESS skill assessment for 457 visa unless my “nominated occupation is a trade occupation, Project and Program Administrator or Specialist Manager not elsewhere classified” http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/457-
    which means I can just lodge my application when I get the all paperwork ready. I passed the information to my lawyer, she insisted I need to do it, which I know I don’t stand a chance with VETASSESS.

I would just like to know if it’s necessary for me to do FIM assessment through VETASSESS.
    Much appreciation, thank you.

Hi Andy,
      For a 457 visa application, a skill assessment is not required if the nominated occupation is 222312 Financial Investment Manager.

9. Jane healey

Hi I have sponsored a member of staff on a 457, he is not complying to his work contract,
    can I put him on a casual hours and rate?
    I would like to keep him but since getting his visa he his not meeting contract agreements.
    Jane

Hi Jane,
      No I don’t think you can do that.
      Please see Contact Us above information in relation to our consultation service if you need advice on this matter.

10. Kenny

I am an employer and I need some assistance on some question in the form. I am filing for a Restaurant Manager position

1. Please select the type of employment arrangement that does or would apply to an equivalent Australian employee.
    [I am not sure whether the answer is just Award or collective enterprise /agreement?I am not sure what the collective agreement is and whether it applies to the above position?

2. If an Award applies, would you pay an Australian employee a salary above the rate specified in the award?
    [I am not sure whether to answer yes or no as the answer to this depends on the level of experience

3. Also if the nomination is approved is it possible to call a person on a bridging visa till the time a decision is awaited on the application?

Hi Kenny,
      Sorry we would need to complete an assessment before we can help you with answering those application form questions – please see Contact Us above information in relation to our consultation service.
      A bridging visa is only granted after you lodge a valid 457 visa application. Nomination application or approval doesn’t result in any bridging visa.

11. Preet

Hi I have got one year 457 visa and now i have applied new nomination under same business for my visa extension I just want to know that the time between both visas (breathing visa) one or two months will be counted in my two years time period or I have to work two years during the visa time thanks

12. Raveena

I have one question about my partner’s 457 visa. My partner is on 457 secondary visa and I’m the main applicant. we are separated now. I wanted to know if I inform immigration that we are not together any more does it mean his secondary visa will get cancelled or does it just mean He will be able to stay in the country until his visa expire but he won’t be able to apply any further application with me.

I will really appreciate if you can help me in this question.

Raveena

Hi Raveena,
      The Department would need to cancel the visa eventually if his 457 his has the following condition:

8516

The holder must continue to be a person who would satisfy the primary or secondary criteria, as the case requires, for the grant of the visa.

This condition should be used only in very rare cases where there is a strong doubt as to the person’s ability to continue to satisfy criteria, for example, a family member who might not remain a member of the family unit for the duration of stay in Australia. If an officer is considering imposing this condition, in all cases (and prior to visa grant) both the applicant (family member) and the 457 primary applicant should be counselled as to the nature of the condition.

13. Tinku

Hey acctualy i did my bachelors at overseas as accountant and i am still doing accounting in australia masters of professional accountant. On the other hand my employer wants to sponsar me as an company accountant can you please tell me can i get 457 visa on my overseas degree which was b.com and how much turnover he need to sponsar md as a accountant

Hi Tinku,
      You may be able to use an overseas qualification if it is recognised in Australia.
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to the requirements that the employer needs to satisfy – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

14. bik

hi peng,
    i’ve got an offer to work in a resturant in regional queensland as a cook. my employer wants me to sponser me but he is paying me salary less than $53,900 per annuam. is it possible to apply for 457 visa with salary less than that. your suggestion would be appreciated . thanks

15. uj

Hi I came to Australia on 457 visa and I paid half of the agents fee and visa fee in total about $ 2000. Can anyone tell me was I meant to be paying that or was company supposed to pay? Thanks

Hi UJ,
      See sponsor’s obligations under sponsor tab: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/457-

Not recover, transfer or charge certain costs to another person
      You must not take any action or seek to take any action that would result in the transfer or charging of costs (including migration agent costs) to another person, such as a sponsored visa holder or their sponsored family members this includes costs that relate to:
      the recruitment of the person you sponsored
      becoming or being a sponsor or former approved sponsor.
      This obligation:
      starts on the day the sponsorship is approved or the work agreement commences
      ends on the following two events:
      you cease to be an approved sponsor or party to a work agreement
      you no longer have a sponsored visa holder.
      Sponsors are also required to pay certain costs associated with becoming a sponsor and not pass these costs, in any form, onto another person. These include:
      cost of sponsorship and nomination charges
      migration agent costs associated with the lodgement of sponsorship and nomination applications
      administrative costs and any sundry costs an employer incurs when they conduct recruitment exercises, including:
      recruitment agent fees
      migration agent fees
      the cost of job advertising
      screening of candidates, short listing, interviews and reference checks
      salaries of recruitment or human resource staff
      the cost of outsourcing background checks, police checks and psychological testing where they relate to an employer determining an applicant’s suitability for the position
      training of new staff
      responding to queries for prospective candidates, and advising unsuccessful applicants
      travel costs for the sponsor to interview and/or meet the applicant either overseas or in Australia.

16. Geoff

I have recieved my Nomination of Approval notice for my 457. I can’t get passed the first page in the application process. the wording does not exactly tie up with the wording on my nomination letter. I have a Sponsorship Appliaction ID, Nomination TRN, and Nomination application ID. But that is not how they word it on the applications first page, so therefore diffucult to decipher exactly what it is they want in the relevant field. It keep saying error and that i have not put in the correct TRN etc, no matter which combination of entries i try make. Could you perhaps give me the breakdown of what they want in the terms of what i have on my form.
    regards,
    Geoff

17. Anh Nguyen

Finding appropriate market data for my occupation..
    My employer nominates me as a general accountant (visa 457)… according to Hays Salary guides, it states that the market salary rate is about $50,000-$65000 for an assisting accountant)… I am wondering there are any other sources which I can use to compare… because of case officer probably do not look at a Salary guide issued by private company such as Hays Inc or Robert Half… in order to compare the market salary rate against TSMIT ($53,900)… Can you please advise which source (government) is reliable …

18. Kamal

1.My question m not student visa now . Soon m going on 457 visa. M gonna sponsored as a Cheff . If I start working now as a part time Cheff will my experience will be counted ..??

Hi Kamal,
      You can only count experience as a 457 visa holder if you are referring to Temporary Residence Transition for permanent residency.

19. Angelo

Hi mr Peng
    My company sent a nomination,about my 457 visa ,to immigration but my whv will expire very soon.So I can get a bridging visa before lodge my application? Thanks a lot

Hi Angelo,
      Generally speaking, you will get a bridging visa shortly after you lodge a valid 457 visa application.

20. Rav

My employer has applied for my TRT nomination in Aug 2015. Employer’s sponsorship which was approved for 457 expires On 15 October 2015 (as it is only valid for 3 years). I am pretty sure that my nomination will not be processed before 15 October 2015. Now, what would happen when a Case Officer is assigned to my nomination application? Are they going to reject my nomination? I am worried now, pls help.
    Rav

The employer doesn’t need to have valid standard business sponsorship to provide sponsorship for a 186 visa – this is only required for a 457 visa application.

21. Jass

I have a one question that can I apply 457 visa as a manager during federal court appeal?
    Plz reply me

22. Ted

I am holding 457 for 1.5 years. My GAE was 54k. My gross payment for the last financial year was less than GAE $600. Would that be concern if I apply ENS visa under my sponsorship?

Hi Ted,
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can determine this will affect your application – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

23. Shreyan

Hi peng ,

My nomination was approved on 29 may 2013 for 457 visa , at that time market rate salary was $51400 , but I got visa approval on 17 July 2013 and at that time market rate salary was changed from $51400 to $53900 , so my question is which one is applicable for me to apply PR , should I have to $53900 or $51400 ?? please reply me

Hi Shreyan,
      Sorry but we can’t determine your appropriate salary for your PR application based on the above information. We would need to complete an assessment before we can advise on this – please see contact us page.

24. arvinder kumar

Hlo sir sunny here I just know about 457 visa can I apply for 457 visa on the behalf of the 6 months diploma in business from Australia Brisbane ..course is still shown in nomination list ..is an matter about study like 6 months or one year..

25. Richa

Hi Peng cheng
    I am currently on 457 visa and my base salary is Aus $54004.8 on contract with employer. Now he is paying me $26.55 per hour plus + (clothing allowances $15plus public holiday bonus $14.42 per week) which is total $29.42).
    Now in my pay slip annual salary is written 52462.80.
    My question is if i add 26.55per hour plus (29\38 = 0.7632) it will be $27.3132per hour and my annual salary will be around 53970.8.
    Does it affect while lodging pr later on.
    Is clothing allowances and public holiday bonus included in base salary

Hi Richa,
      I can’t determine if the above salary is OK for a PR application – we would need further information and also review relevant documents from your employer. Please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

26. D Sharma

Thanks! We are lodging nomination and visa for employee tomorrow. So hope it all goes good. Can we lodge RSMS for same company while sponsorship is being processed?

The employer can lodge a 187 nomination application while the SBS application is pending.

27. D Sharma

Our 457 sponsorship was valid till 10th April 2015. We did Training Benchmark B on 9th April 2015. And lawyer lodged sponsorship on 10th April. As since then case office just asked few documents whoch were provided. Till now it shows under processing. Also our lawyer emailed to expediate process as our employee nomination and visa expiring on 18th July. But officer said that standard processing time is not completed yet. Please advice whats maximum time period for processing of aponsorship?

Hi D Sharma,
      Sorry but there is no maximum time – the case officer can take as long as they want really.

28. sam

Hi,what if a 457 visa holder GAE is 56,000 which is well above the TSMIT but was paid $200.00 less in a year means 55,800,so will the nomination for TTS be approved and another question is that does the superannuation contributions must be provided with applications?Thanks.

Hi Sam,
      We generally don’t provide super records.
      We would need to complete an assessment before we can determine if the nomination will be approved. We have had applications approved where the salary for a particular year is less than what was approved in the 457 nomination.

29. Tehseen

Hi Peng Cheng ………. Your answers helping people a lot .
    I am asking on behalf of my friend ! He is on 457 and completing two years in August this year . Last year his gross income was $46000 on tax return and this year it’s nearly $49000 . As a 457 holder he is interested to apply 186 as soon as he finishes his 2 year full time of work .
    What are the consequences when he will be lodging 186 (ENS) application ?
    Can employer fix this difference at this stage ?

Your answer is valuable for many people !
    Regards .

Hi Tehseen,
      Sorry but I would need to complete an assessment before we can determine the salary that he should have been paid – please see contact us page.

30. niel

Hey Peng,
    I have got few questions to ask. Hope u can give me some solutions.
    I am on 457 visa right now which was granted on march 2013 and will expire on march 2017. I wanna apply for 186 as soon as possible and my employer is ready to sponsor me. The problem is during 2013 and 2014 I have had about 2 months unpaid leave. So my market salary wasn’t been paid as stated on my contract. Therefore, will there be a problem for my 186? if yes what it might be? or if they ask evidence what can I present? The other question is do i have to wait another year to be eligible to apply for 186 ? Many thanks in advance

Hi Niel,
      You can’t count unpaid leave. You may be able to apply after you complete 2 years of full-time work as a 457 visa holder, after deducting any unpaid leave time.

31. arvinder kumar

Hlo sir I m doing 6 months online diploma in business from brisbane Australia ..can I apply 457 visa on the behalf of this diploma.as a manager. In a restaurant

A diploma in business issued by an Australian education provider should be sufficient to satisfy the qualification requirement if the nominated occupation is restaurant manager.
      Course that you completed should be listed here: http://cricos.education.gov.au/

32. mann

hello,
    i am applying for 457 visa on RPL diploma.
    question is does department have any concern with the exp. shown for RPL diploma?

1. mann

my question was does department has anithing to do with the voluntary exp. shown to get RPL diploma?

1. mann

actually i didnt have any exp. I got it from a known and got RPL diploma on the behalf of that experience. if i apply for a manager’s post for 457 does immi verifies that experience?

I don’t think that the Department would ask for work references to demonstrate the experience that you used to obtain a diploma by RPL. But this is just my opinion – I haven’t lodged a visa application in this situation before.

33. jassi

hi peng,
    i have advanced diploma of management and dip. of business. my brother in law in running a travel agency.
    he is willing to sponsor me as travel agency manager. does our relation affects the nomination or visa application?
    as people keep saying me that a relative can not sponsor.

Hi Jassi,
      A business can potentially sponsor you even if the business is owned by a relative.

1. jassi

hi
        So is it possible to be sponsored as travel agency manager with advanced diploma of management and dip. of business.?

We would need to complete an assessment before we can provide such visa advice – please see contact us page.

34. Rav

Great feedbacks.
    I was approved 457 in June2013 when threshold was $51,500. My GAE has been $53000 per annum as an Accountant since then (mentioned in my contract too), however, the threshold increased to $53,900 from 1 July 2013. Now, I have completed 2 years on 457 & same employer/sponsorer has offered me another 2 years at $55,000 (same position: Accountant) which means I can apply for TRT. Now as I am going to provide my last 2 years (2014 & 2015) ATO tax assessments it will show my GAE as $53,000 which is actually less than that period’s updated threshold. Do you think it would be an issue in getting my TRT Nomination & Visa approved?
    Rav

Hi Rav,
      Changes to TSMIT doesn’t impact existing 457 visas. This is a requirement for new 457 visa applications.

35. arvinder kumar

HELLO SIR i am arvinder kumar i just know about 457 visa . actually i am doing master degree here .but side by side i have complete my online diploma in buisness. its duration is six months. can i get sponsor ( 457 visa ) on the behave of buisness diploma from the resturant as a manager .and there is any problem or not on the study of online diploma in buisness( domestic diploma)
    pls answer me as soon as possible…

Hi Arvinder,

36. Ryan A

hi Peng,

Great article and feedback. As a sponsor for 457 I understand employers can include accomodation but how does the employer deduct this accomodation allowance from employees?
    What are the obligations by the employer (and impact ) if a rental accomodation costs them lesser than what they take from a 457 applicant? Seems like a tax question but asking here anyways.

37. satinderjammu

Hi peng what is the processing time for 457 visa as a manager and is it easy to get 457 visa with relevant qualification,,,,.
    Plz reply me,,, thanx

1. satinder

Thanx peng for replyig me,,, one thing could you plz tell me I m going to apply 457 visa , can I apply dependent visa of my wife with it,,,
        Plz reply me,,,,

The employer would need to support the 457 dependent visa application with a letter confirming this support. Your wife can apply for a 457 dependent visa.