Long-Term Work 457 Visa – Including Your Family Members & Dependents

Spouse and your children

If you are including your spouse, then generally, you just need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate.

If you are including your spouse and your children, then for your children, you will need to provide copies of their full abridged birth certificates that state the names of both biological parents. This is assuming that you and your spouse are the biological parents and that this is confirmed in the birth certificate.

The more complicated cases in relation to including dependents are outlined below:

De-facto partners

Generally speaking, you should to provide documents that demonstrate that you and your de-facto partner have been living together for at least 6 months prior to the lodgement of the visa application.

This should be sufficient but whether it is sufficient will depend on the type of evidence that you can provide, and the discretion of your case officer.

See post in relation to evidencing your relationship.

Adult children

If you want to include a dependent child who is 18 years of age or over, then you will need to provide evidence which demonstrates your adult child’s dependency on you. You will need to show that he or she:

  1. Has been dependent on you for a substantial period of time and this period of dependency immediately precedes the lodgement of your application (generally speaking, for at least a 12 month period); and
  2. Is wholly or substantially reliant on you for financial support to meet his or her basic needs of food, clothing and shelter; and
  3. Is reliant on you to cover the cost of their basic needs and this reliance is greater than any reliance that he or she has on any other person, or source of support/income (e.g. financial support from the government, part-time job etc.).

Financial dependency is the only consideration (as oppose to emotional or other forms of dependency).

DIAC’s policy does state that if your child is undertaking his or her first major undergraduate qualification, and he or she is wholly or substantially reliant you to cover the cost of their basic needs, then it is presumed that this child is dependent on you.

Including an adult dependent child can be a complex. I suggest that you seek professional assistance to determine whether your adult child meets the definition of a dependent.

Children and custody

Custody is an issue where both biological parents aren’t included in the application.

If you want to include your child and your child’s other biological parent is not included, you’ll need to provide evidence to show that you have legal custody over your child and that you have the right to bring your child to Australia.

DIAC will generally require you to provide Court documentation which confirms custody.

Other dependents

You may be able to include adult dependents if they are:

  1. A relative of you or your spouse/de-facto partner; and
  2. He or she does not have a spouse or de-facto partner; and
  3. He or she is usually a resident of your household; and
  4. He or she is dependent on you.

Other than your children and spouse/partner, a relative is defined as a parent, brother, sister, step-child, step-brother, step-sister, a grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, or a step-grandparent, step-grandchild, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece or step-nephew.

The definition of dependency is pretty much the same as the definition stated above for a dependent adult child.

Like with an adult dependent child, including other dependents can be quiet complicated. I suggest that you seek professional advice to determine whether your dependents are eligible for inclusion in your application.

How we can help

Please Contact Us if you require our assistance.

Our Client Testimonials reflect:

  • the high quality and highly personalised service that we provide
  • the excellence of our work
  • our ability to achieve the outcomes that our clients want
  • our willingness and ability to go ‘above and beyond’

Whether you need comprehensive assistance with an application, assistance and representation with a review application with the Migration Review Tribunal, Refugee Review Tribunal or Administrative Appeals Tribunal, or just a one off consultation, we will provide you with the advice and service that you require.

269 thoughts on “Long-Term Work 457 Visa – Including Your Family Members & Dependents

  1. Palwinder

    Hi Peng…. I’m on 457 visa and my children are overseas..I want to bring them over here ….can you please tell me what is the number of form application I have to fill …because I want to do myself…if possible can you please send me a link…. thanks

    1. Peng Cheng Post author

      Hi Palwinder,
      Create immiaccount on Department’s website to access the online 457 dependent visa form.

  2. msr

    Hi Peng,
    I am the primary 457 visa holder. I am planning to bring my Spouse and Kid to Australia on Dependant Visa. I have created ImmiAccount for both of them for creating HAPID. Can you please assist me which visa Subclass should i need to select for my dependant spouse and children(3 years age).


    1. Peng Cheng Post author

      Hi MSR,
      You’ll find the dependent 457 visa online form under ‘New application’, 457 temporary visa.

  3. Charly Asister

    hi peng,
    i am a 457 visa dependent for my father, i would ask if is it possible to my girlfriend to come with me even where not married and im still dependent..


  4. Aana

    Hi Peng,
    I am the primary 457 visa holder and my husband and child are dependent visa holders and we are in Australia.
    My employer wants to attend few meetings in new Zealand on business visa.
    1. Will my 457 visa get cancelled?
    2. Can I go alone leaving my spouse and child in Australia and later join in 3 weeks?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *