English Language Requirement for Subclass 457 Visa

A primary 457 visa applicant is required to demonstrate ‘Vocational English’ unless one of the below exemptions apply.

Required scores to establish Vocational English are as follows:

You can complete your examination after lodgement of your 457 visa application. If you provide an English examination result at the time of lodgement, then an English examination result is valid for 3 years from the date of the examination.

Please note that the below exemptions are the only exemptions available:

Your country of passport

You hold a passport from Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States.

Your education

Your salary

You are exempt if your base annual salary is at least AUD $96,400. Please note that base salary excludes bonuses, incentive based pay, overtime pay etc.

If registration, licence or membership is required

The Australian regulatory body for your profession/occupation may specify that you need to demonstrate a certain level of English language ability before you can obtain the registration, licence or membership that is required for you to work in your profession/occupation in Australia.

If the required level of English language ability is equivalent to more than at least a score 5.0 in each of the 4 test components for an IELTS examination, then you need to meet the higher level of English language ability that is set by the regulatory body. You will need to provide evidence from the regulatory body which shows the level of English language ability that is set to obtain the required registration, licence or membership, and also evidence to show that you meet this.

If a lower or if no level of English language ability is set by the regulatory body, and none of the above exemptions apply, then you still need to satisfy the English language requirement and complete an IELTS or OET examination.

• our willingness take on the difficult cases and achieve the outcomes that our clients want
  • our willingness to cater our services to the precise needs of our clients, including working outside of normal business hours and providing limited assistance where needed such as  helping to resolve a specific issue or issues with a particular application
  • our ability to assist business and private clients from all over Australia and the world! We are based in Sydney NSW, however, we have assisted business and private clients from all over Australia and the world. We have never had issues with assisting clients that we don’t get to meet in person

Frequently asked questions

1. Q: What if I took a gap year between high school and college/university (or at some other point during the course of your studies)?
    A: The requirement does expressly state that 5 years of consecutive study is required
  2. Q: Do I need to provide evidence that I have completed 5 years of consecutive study?
    A: If you are seeking this exemption, then yes.
  3. Q: What will be the English language requirement for when I apply for permanent residency with the sponsorship of my employer?
    A: This is explained in detail in this post
  4. Q: Are you sure that an IELTS or OET result is only valid for 3 years?
    A: For the purpose of a 457 visa application, yes
  5. Q: Are you sure that both Academic or General Training IELTS examinations are accepted?
    A: Yes
  6. Q: Can I complete an IELTS or OET examination after lodgement and submit that?
    A: No. You can only rely on an IELTS or OET result from an examination that was completed before the application is lodged
  7. Q: For an IELTS examination, if I have an overall score of 5 (or above), but did not each at least 5 in each band, will this be sufficient?
    A: No
  8. Q: If I do not meet the English language requirement and I lodge my application anyway, can the Department approve it?
    A: You need to satisfy all the relevant eligibility requirements. The Department will not approve an application that does not satisfy all the requirements
  9. Q: I do not satisfy any of the above exemptions, but I have clear evidence of my English language ability (e.g. I’ve worked in an English speaking country for a number of years, I’ve completed a number of years of study but don’t fit any of the exemptions outlined, I have professional membership, I’ve completed other English language examinations etc.), am I exempted from IELTS?
    A: The only exemptions are both outlined above. If you do not satisfy any of the exemptions, then you need to complete an IELTS or OET examination
  10. Q: Do dependent 457 visa applicants need to satisfy any English language requirement?
    A: Not for the purposes of the visa application (they may need this if they want to work in certain occupations in Australia)

353 thoughts on “English Language Requirement for Subclass 457 Visa

1. Wan

What sort of evidence is needed to prove that we have met the 5 years full time study inn order to be exempted?
    Is the result transcript enough? Or we need to get a letter from the institution?
    Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.

Hi Wan,
      Transcript or letter from the school confirming 5 years of study should both be fine.

2. Ann

Dear Peng Peng,
    I am working as a manager at the restaurant in Australia. I had 6.0 Ielts ( not all bands ).
    How can I apply for Direct Entry Stream?
    I have finished Advance Diploma in English ( my major is English teacher which is 3 years in total ). Details for my study as below:
    8/2008 to 9/2011: Advance Diploma English Teacher.
    10/2011-5/2012: studying English for taking Ielts examination
    9/2012: moved to Australia for studying.
    9/2012-1/2013: studying EAP at UWS Westmead campus.
    5/2013- 12/2013: studying English at Kings Way Institute.
    3/2014-4/2015: Bachelor of Accounting ( not finished ).
    Can I get a extempt for Ielts to apply for direct entry stream or I have to apply for 457.
    Just want to get PR asap.
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

Hi Ann,

3. bimal khambhati

HI,
    I HAVE APPLIED 186 AND CO REQUESTED FOR SUPER STATEMENT FOR LAST YEARS BUT MY EMPLOYER DIDNT PAY ME SUPER AND HAS PAID ONLY ONE TIME FOR SECOND YEAR.. ITS NOT QUITE ENOUGH FOR SECOND YEAR AS WELL..
    SO WE HAVE ONLY ONE TRANSACTION FOR SECOND YEAR AND THERE IS NOTHING FOR FIRST YEAR,,,
    BUT TRAINING AND PAYG IS OK…
    BUT AFTER REQUESTED WE HAVE PAID FOR ENTIRE SECOND YEAR..
    CAN THIS AFFECT MY NOMINATION AND 186???
    REALL WORRIED…

4. Sam

Your kind advice is greatly appreciated before my friend can make an appointment to see you.

A friend of mine has received a visa class of TU 573 to do Master Degree in Wollongong. But she is currently doing her English course there first.

On her visa, it has these conditions:
    8202 – Continuing studies
    8533 – Notify address
    8501 – Health Insurance
    8105 – Work Limitation
    8516 – Maintain Eligibility
    8517 – Dependents Education

She is wondering if she can switch to full time work when someone is preparing to sponsor her under 457.

Kind regards,
    Sam

Hi Sam,
      While she holds a student visa, she needs to comply with the conditions of this visa which limits a work limitation condition. Once the 457 visa is granted, she can start to work full-time for the sponsoring employer.

5. chinmaya

This is Australia givt link https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/457- and here it is mentinoned if an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall test score of at least 5.0 with a score of at least 4.5 in each of the four test components. So could you please confirm if this is not correct?
    Chinmaya

6. Siddhartaha

My Company willing to sponsor me to onsite working visa. please answer my Qs
    I am from India and I completed my secondary education in 2006.
    I finished my Intermediate Education (English) in 2006-2009 (extra one year for supplementary). I done my 3 years of graduation(English) in 2009 – 2012

do I still need to clear IELTS for applying for VISA?

Hi Siddhartaha,
      Please see above post which outlines the relevant English requirement for a 457 visa application.

1. siddhartha

I am in confusion about my situation. please clarify

intermediate education 2 years but i clear my subjects in 3 years. after i done my degree 3 years.
        ( inter&degree English medium)
        is i am eligible to apply visa with out IELTS exam.

Hi Siddhartha,
          Please see above post: You have completed at least 5 years of full-time study in a secondary and/or higher education institution where the instructing language is English. You will need to provide evidence of this.

7. Manojb

Hi peng,

I have 457 visa for 2 year. But it’s going to expire next year. I had passed the ielts examination and got the visa.If I am renewing my visa after 2 year, can I use my old ielts results. I heard that the ielts result is valid for 3 year for 457 visa.please advice, is this really required to attend the ielts examination again?

Manojb

Hi Manojb,
      IELTS is valid for 3 years if you are applying for a 457 visa – see above post.

You need to satisfy the current English requirement – see above post which explains when an examination result is required.

8. Manoj

I just have a query that I have already completed 5 years of study ( 2 years in Diploma and 3 years of Bachelor) in Australia but that is not within the 5 consecutive years. I am lodging my RSMS visa, do I still need to give IELTS exam and score each band 6? or If i go thru 457 visa do I still need to provide ielts score? Thanks

9. eugene

Hi Peng Cheng

I have got a n question regarding change of employer under 457 visa.

Inqury is about IELTS that expired last year. So do I need to sit for IELTS again for the change of employer?

Your answer would really be appreciate.

Kind regards

10. Praveen

Hi Peng Cheng,

I have been working in Australia on 457 visa since 1 and half year and my visa is going to expire in another 2 months.

So I am applying a visa, so submitting my documents through my employer.

My query is:

1) I have completed my graduation for 3 years (2003-06) in English medium and I got a certificate with medium as English in one of the certificates.

I have completed my post graduation (2006-09) in English medium and I have got all the required certificates (Total Marks memo, convocation and provisional) from the university but no where the medium is mentioned and it is NOT only for me but for all the students. In the certificates itself, there is no section for medium.

So If I apply, my graduation along with my post graduation certificates, will they be sufficient as English Medium proof? Or Do I need to write IELTS exams.

Thanks In Advance for your help.

Praveen

Hi Praveen,
      Sorry but I would need to have a look at your documents before we can determine if these are sufficient for the exemption. Your case officer can also do this assessment and let you know if IELTS is required.

Hi Pardeep,
      Sorry but we can’t provide advice just based on the above information. We would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to your visa options – please see Contact Us above information in relation to our consultation service.

11. jaswinder kaur

hi i would like to ask as my sister in law is doing a buisness management in india but she have student visa refusal before and she done phisyotherapy so is that ok if she do this course and she have a employer sponsership who is ready to sponser her and she have six each band is she is elible to apply rsms and how much chance she got

Hi Jaswinder,
      Sorry but we can’t advise in relation to your sister’s visa options just based on the above information. Please see Contact Us above information in relation to our consultation service if you need us to complete an assessment and advise in relation to her visa options.

12. Anushan

Hi peng I pursuied my Higher Secondary from 8th to 12th in English medium (same school). Is for me IELTS mandatory for applying 457 visa? What are the documents needs to be provided?
    Shall I provide my School transfer certificate for this process?

13. Jas

Hi Peng we r applying pr so my husband he is on spouse visa what is Ielts score he needs overall 4.5 or 4 in each Ielts , he hot L 4, r 3.5 , s 5.5 , w 4.5 overall 4.5 is this is enough score for him thanx

14. Katya

I’m a bit confused with IELTS requirement..
    On the very top of the page is written “You can complete your examination after lodgement of your 457 visa application.”
    Then below in FAQs I read:
    6. Q: Can I complete an IELTS or OET examination after lodgement and submit that?
    A: No. You can only rely on an IELTS or OET result from an examination that was completed before the application is lodged

So can i lodge a 457 application without IELTS result or not?
    Will any of these alternatives work: the evidence of booking the test for the next week or the evidence that i have just taken the test and wait for the results that will come in around 10 days?
    My current visa expires very soon and i don’t have time to wait for test results before applying 🙁 I can just take the test asap or book it and send results to the officer a little bit later.. or apply for a different class of visa

Thanks!
    Katya

For other visas, you need to have a valid English result at the time of lodgement.

15. Gagan

respected sir/madam
    i am gagan preet singh
    i have passed +2 in 2011
    i have passed b.sc hotel management in 2014
    i have got 5 bands in reading,speaking, writing, but only one module of listening in 4.5
    can i apply for Australia visa in any case ?

Hi Gagan,
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to your visa options – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

16. navi maridka

Hlo sir my question is this i complete my gradution in 2012 afr i studied in cookery for 2 year i have 1 year work experience in cookery nd i have also 5 band in each module nd my real sister settled in australia with PR she’s married she has own business she can sponsored me for work frm australia m live in india.

Hi Navi,

17. gurpreet singh

Hi peng im lived in india im complete MSC IT nd ielts 5.0 im interested aply to 457 visa. Plz tell im aply done yes or no

Hi Gurpreet,

1. ajay

Sir I have done my graduation BCA 3years and post graduation MCA 3years continues so which type of visa can I get without doing ilets as my big streams are English medium

Hi Ajay,

18. Alankar Srivastava

I have completed my education in English medium from 1989 to 1993 at secondary(10) level .
    Please let me can i exempt for english reqirement

19. anmol

hi peng we have 457 vissa,my daughter age 18 we apply for permanent residency in december.she comleted 10 class in english medium in india,please tell me she need ilets for permanet residency in australia

20. Amit

I currently hold a 457 visa which is expiring this month. I am applying for the extention and I have been asked to submit the English proof document. My query is whether the base salary of AUD 96,400 mentioned here is inclusive of superannuation or without it?

21. Avneesh Kumar Jain

Hi Team,

I am avneesh kumar jain , holding the temporary WP for AUS till March 2016 , but i heard its gone out of service once you left the organization.

so if i reapply for the UC457, do i need to pass the IELTS exam?

Or its ok , if you already have the WP.

Avneesh Jain

22. Prdp

I, Pradeep Roka completed my Masters in Engineering from University of Wollongong on June 2012. I lived in Sydney nearly 3.5 years from August 2009 to December 2012 and now I am doing Job as an Electrical Engineer in India.
    My M.E was 1 year Program with 48 credit points.
    I have enough evidence of English Language Competency, more over I have recently get competent score in Pearson Test Of English (PTE). I want to lodge my “Competency Demonstration Report” for applying membership in Engineers Australia. Am I eligible to apply or I have to sit for IELTS?
    Is there any possibilities that EA will accept PTE in lieu of IELTS or they comsider me to apply in this case.
    Further, will EA accept 2 different IELTS results together satisfying 6.0 in each module.
    Please suggest me regarding my case.
    Prdp

23. prabh

Hiii I have done my post graduation and I want to come in Australia through any good nursing course ..so plz help me about the what band requirement after nursing to apply for this country or school.

24. Khushi

Hi, i want to know is that ielts test is mandary for me? I hold 457 visa n my husband hold the same, he did ielts but i dont. If we have to apply for a PR then is this compulsory that i gave to give exam of ielts? as i did my graduation n post graduation in english. Pls let me know . Thanks

25. Pam

Hi I would like to ask u ! I am overseas student and I have been studying around 5 years in Melbourne but I don’t know is it my full time study or part time , pls advice me thanx in adVance

Hi Pam,
      Suggest that you contact your education provider to determine if your course is part or full time.

26. amardeep

hi,
    i am doing mpa (masters in professional accounting) and i am on 573 visa sub class and my course started in feb 2015 and now my employee wanted to sponser me can i apply for 457 from 573 visa class..I m eligible for 457 or not ..

Hi Amardeep,
      Sorry but we would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to your visa options – please see contact us page.

27. abskietotzyk

I am holding a 457 visa since march2015 and I was exempted for IELTS when I applied due to my 5 consecutive years of study conducted in English. Now, do I still need to take up IELTS if I am transferring to a new sponsor? I just need some clarification from experts like you since rumors have circulated within the grapevine that existing 457 still needs to take up IELTS even if they were exempted during the first application. cheers PC

Hi Abskietotzyk,
      You are exemption for the 457 visa English requirement if you can demonstrate the following – you can provide relevant evidence to the Department if they ask for this:

Your education
      You have completed at least 5 consecutive years of full-time study in a secondary and/or higher education institution where the instructing language is English. You will need to provide evidence of this.

28. Mahor

hello Peng,
    I hope if you can help me also. I have done certificate iv, diploma and advance diploma in business. And one of my friend owns hairdressor shop and he wants to sponsor me on 457 as a manager but we dont know know that only business study will allow me to be a manger on hairdressor shop or do i need any certificate relating hairdressor? Please reply me back.it will clear our doubts.

Hi Mahor,
      A diploma in business or higher qualification should be sufficient to satisfy the qualification requirement.
      We would need to complete an assessment before we can advise in relation to your visa option – please see contact us page and information in relation to our consultation service.

29. Pam

Hi ! My question is I am nearly finished my 2 years on 457 visa however I don’t have Ielts 5 in each but I have studied in Australia from 2008 to 2013 around 5 years I am overseas student so is there any chance I can get exemption for Ielts when I apply my pr pls assist me thanx in advance

30. Eugene

Hi, Peng

I’ll get a job offer, which includes also the 475 visa sponsorship. What kind of IELTS do i need? General or Academic? I’m going to move to Australia with my family on my working period. Is it true that my wife also needs to pass IELTS? English is not our native language.

Thank you!

Hi Eugene,
      Both academic and general IELTS are accepted – see above post.
      Dependent 457 visa applicants do not need to satisfy any English requirement.

31. bimal khambhati

hi peng,
    your website is really helpful..
    i m on 457 visa as a cook, and finishing 2 years in this year, so i got my wife as dependent so does she also need to have ielts, when we apply for ENS?
    i asked my registered consultant and he is saying if my wife has done degree in india which is in english, and if she can get letter form college that she did degree in english, then doesnt need ielts..

32. Jas

Thanx for clear everything , I hand other inquiry that after getting pr on 457 visa so is it necessary to keep work same employer or we can do other job thanx

For a 457 visa, you need to satisfy the English requirement outlined above.
      English is exempted for a 457 visa applicant if the applicant is paid a base salary of $96,400 or above.

33. Dixit

I am 457 visa now 2 years finish but I don’t have each n 6 band in iltes.what can I do or possible without iltes in pr same occupation and employees

34. Jas

Pls help to me clear my confuse that I got 457 visa in 2013 for 1 year after one year i applied again to extend for 457 visa , immigration took 6 months to approved in that time I was on bridging visa so can this time will count in 2 years to apply To pr and I worked in this six months with same employer and got same salary pls advised me thanx