Changing Your Employer – 457 Visa Holder

As a 457 visa holder, if you are looking to change your employer and have your new employer take over the sponsorship for your visa, you need to firstly ensure that your prospective employer is eligible to sponsor you for a 457 visa. This generally means that they need to hold Standard Business Sponsorship and that this sponsorship is valid (or that they are eligible and willing to apply for this).

When you can start working with your new sponsor

Your prospective employer will need to lodge a 457 nomination application and have this approved before you can start employment with them.

You can’t start working for your prospective employer before the 457 nomination is approved.

The Department’s normal processing time for a 457 nomination application is around 2-4 weeks.

Serving our your notice period

Under condition 8107 which applies to primary 457 visa holders, you can only work for your sponsoring employer and in your approved role. The exception to this is when you’re changing your employer and 457 visa sponsor. Even after the 457 nomination application for your new employer has been approved and your sponsorship has changed to this new employer, you can continue to work for your former employer and sponsor to ‘fulfil a requirement to give notice of termination of employment’.

Basically, you’re allowed to fulfil the terms of your employment contract.

As the 457 visa holder, do I need to do anything for the 457 nomination application?

Generally speaking, the nomination application relates to the role that you will be performing. Your employer needs to demonstrate that the role is consistent with an occupation that is on the list of sponsorable occupations (i.e. ANZSCO occupation appears on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List), and that there is a genuine need for your role.

Your employer may ask you for the following documents for the 457 nomination application:

• Passport
  • Qualifications
  • Evidence of English language ability
  • Work references
  • Payslips demonstrating your paid work experience

Professional Assistance & Comment Policy

Need assistance with an Australian migration law matter? Please contact me if you require professional assistance.

See the feedback that we have received from our clients.

686 thoughts on “Changing Your Employer – 457 Visa Holder

1. Jimmy

Thanks so much for your post. I’m on a 457 for last 1 year, though my company isn’t doing well and I expect I’ll need to transfer.

I’ve heard that current processing times for 457 transfer are 8-12 weeks, rather than the standard 1-2 because of staff reductions at the immigration offices. Is this true?

If I accept a new job and company that will sponsor me, I understand I won’t be able to work for them into its approved; however, will I be able to continue to work at my current job until it is approved? Will they receive notice from immigration that I’ve applied to change sponsors?

Additionally, once I’ve hit my 2-year point with a current employer, what happens if I’m made redundant after applying, but before gaining approval? I.e. what if I’ve applied by my company no longer exists before it’s approved?

If I complete 2 years and apply for PR, but then before getting approval/decision on the application I hit the end of my 4-year visa term- will I be forced to leave? Or will they allow an exception with my visa pending?

Thanks! !

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,
      Processing times have increased yes.
      Will they receive notice from immigration that I’ve applied to change sponsors?
      Sorry the Department won’t be able to approve the application if the role is no longer offered to you at the time of decision.
      You should be able to remain in Australia on your bridging visa if you have lodged a permanent residency application already.

2. Maas

First of all thank you for all the great information you are giving on this website!

Thanks in advance

I have recently found a new employer who lodged the transfer of my 457 visa 4 weeks ago. I have added my partner on there as well as a secondary applicant. If i am looking on myimmi the new company name is already in there with my current 457 visa. So it says 2 company names under the 457 application. Does this mean the nomination for the new company is approved? I’m not sure what you are describing. The Department will send a formal approval notice after a 457 nomination approval.

This question depends a bit of the question above. I have not give my notice yet at this stage with my current company. I am going on a holiday the first week of july. Do you advise to ask for holiday leave (4 weeks) and stay working for the current company or to give two weeks notice and go on a holiday after? This depends on your contract and terms of termination – sorry this isn’t a migration law issue.

3. Chris

I am currently on a 457 visa but have to return home due to an illness with a family member. My employer offers unpaid leave, is there a maximum time I can be out of the country on unpaid leave with a 457?

My employer also have offices in UK where I would be returning to, if I continue to work for my employer but in the UK will my visa continue to be valid?

Hi Chris,
      Yes this doesn’t affect your 457 visa.

4. Sutrisno

Dear Mr Pheng cheng,

I’m writing to enquire you about my case. I’m currently holding a 457 visa and nominated as a chef. I’m already under 457 visa from 4th February 2015 till current. I suppose to be able to apply for my PR from 4th February 2017, everything it’s been organised and I have also submitted all my document required and to support for the application process and I have even paid all the fees that needed for the application process but my employer haven’t provide the final document which is their financial report document. And a have been waiting for that till now, it’s been more than 3 month. And caused my application pending. I’m tired of waiting so I’m lpanning to transfer my sponsor to a new employer, will I have to go over again from the beginning?. Or is there any waiting period will affect my 457 visa.

Kindly regards

Sutrisno

5. Deri

I’m currently on a 457 visa and I’ve been offered a new job. Just wondering if il be able to apply for PR once my 2 years from starting my 457 are up or will it reset if I take the new role and il have to work 2 years with the new employer before being eligible?

6. Katie

Do you have to of been working with your employer on a 457 visa for a certain amount of time before you’re able to transfer your sponsorship to another employer?

1. Andre

is it possible to transfer your 457 to a new employer if you are still on bridging visa A waiting for the confirmation from immigration?

Hi Andre,
          You can only transfer a 457 visa after it is granted.
          You may be able to ask a different employer to lodge a new 457 nomination application, and ask the Department to link the existing visa with this application.

7. Jenny

I am on a 457 and was made redundant from my employer. They have not yet notified the DIBP. I am now on week 5 since my last day of work. I have been interviewing and may have found a new employer to nominate 457 visa transfer. My current visa allows multiple entries into Australia.

I’d really like to return to the States for at least a month to take care of some personal matters. Is there anyway I can do that and have a potential new employer nominate me while I’m outside Australia?

Hi Jenny,
      I don’t think that the Department would cancel your visa while you are overseas if they have a pending nomination application, but I can’t predict the actions of the Department’s compliance team sorry.

8. Mon

I’m currently on a 457 (granted in September 2016). As per the new rules, my occupation is on the STSOL without any caveats. If I were to change my employer, will transferring the 457 result in my Visa being valid for 2 years? Or will it be valid until it expires in 2020. Also, would I still have the option to apply for my Permanent Residency under the 186 if I change my employer? Or would it be changed to the pathway without that PR option?
    I’d like to know my options before I change employers.

Mon

Hi Mon,
      The transfer won’t affect the validity period of your current visa which will remain the same.

9. Simone Gough

Hey,

If my nomination has been lodged to transfer my 457 but I’m coming up to the end of my 60 days since leaving my last employer will I go into a bridging visa while waiting to hear back from immigration in regards to my new nomination?
    Any help appreciated!
    Simone

10. Lalita

I am currently in Melbourne and working on 457 VISA (261311 – Analyst Programmer). I have found another employer who has offered me a job which I have accepted. My future employer has lodged nomination transfer application but with a new occupation (ICT Business Analyst – 261111). Will there be any problems with this transition from (Analyst Programmer to ICT Business Analyst). I have experience for both Analyst Programmer and Business Analyst experience on my Resume.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Lalita

Hi Lalita,
      You can change your occupation if you are qualified to work in this new occupation.

11. Sri

I have seen couple of useful posts here ,so this i thought this is the right place to put my question.

Currently i am on 457 VISA , and i got another opportunity , Can i switch/transfer my VISA to new employer.

As 457 got abolished do i need to give English test to get new transferred VISA?

Can you help me with this based on this only i can accept new position.

Srihari

Hi Sri,
      You can still transfer a 457 visa – this visa isn’t abolished until March 2018.
      English may be required depending on your occupation and prior visa application.

12. nabe

1. I’m still currently working as 457 visa, what if I find another employer to sponsor my 457 visa.,
    can I still work to my employer, while waiting my new 457 visa was transfer my new employer?

2. I heard that 457 visa was abolished.
    do I have a chance to transfer or to get another sponsor of my 457 visa?

1. You’d need to wait until the Department approves the new nomination application.
      2. Depends on the quality of your application.

13. Prakash

I am currently on 457 visa and have found another job for the same role. Can my future employer initiate the visa transfer process and get it approved while i work with my current employer? Basically i want to serve the notice period of 1 month only after my visa is transferred to future employer?

14. Heather

Hi There,

If I am on a 457 visa and get offered another job at a different company, does it have to be the same job title?

Hi Heather,
      You can apply under a different occupation if you satisfy the requirements for that new occupation.

15. Martha

Also, is there any other way for me to apply different visa that leads to Permanet Residency while im under 457 atm and just being redundant?

Hi Martha,
      Perhaps have a look at the general skilled migration visas – 189, 190 and 489 visas.

16. Martha

Thanks for being very helpful about getting feedback for us.

I had a problem which i and some of my friends who are on 457 visa, we were made redundant by the company recently.

Im looking for a new job now, and will make sure if there’s any employer who is willing to continue on my sponsorship.

My question is since my visa was lodged on last year, would it be affected to the new employer to apply the standard nomination business in order to sponsor me relate to new policy on 457?

Thanks.

Hi Martha,
      The employer would need to satisfy the current requirement set by the Department for 457 visa sponsorship, including the changes announced this week.

1. Lindsay

I am in a similar situation. My 457 was granted in Sept 2015 but I want to transfer employers. My skill is a marketing specialist. Would transferring to a new employer fall under the grand fathering arrangement of the new changes? Meaning I can transfer and still be eligible for PR? Or would it put me under the new visa and I would not be eligible for pr? After the changes, the marketing specialist is only a 2 year visa with no pr outcome so this is why I am concerned about an employer transfer. Thanks. I appreciate your help

Hi Lindsay,
          The current law in relation to employer sponsored permanent residency has not changed (yet), hence you can apply for permanent residency under the 186 (or 187 for regional) visa after you complete 2 years of work with your current sponsor as a 457 visa holder as before. This is irrespective of whether your occupation is on the current list of eligible occupations for the 457 visa, or if your occupation is later removed by the government.

17. James

My name is James, I m on a 457 since 2 years and I m about to apply for my residency with this current employer but I have currently been offered a better position with a new employer.
    My question is : Can I still have a direct entry for a visa 186 with a new employer?

18. Cara

my 457 nomination transfer was logged on 31st March. What’s the current process time and when should i expect to hear back?

1. Jay

Hi Peng .. I am already on 457 visa as cook but I want to change my position as chef. Is this increase my visa validly or just position. What will the cost.

19. Endro

I am currently working for company (employer A) on a 457 visa and have been working for over 8 months. I want to change my employer and found a new company (employer B) who is willing and have the business sponsorship to nominate me for the same position. The questions are:
    1) -Can the new employer lodge the nomination forms while I am still working for current employer (employer A)?
    2) -Can I wait for the nominations to be approved with new employer (employer B)before giving notice resignation to my current employer (employer A)?
    3) if the new nominations is rejected, can I still work with my current employer (employer A)? as I haven’t give notice about my resignation to my current employer?
    4) -Under what circumstances I am eligible to change my employer.

could you please help me. I am really worried.
    Thank you so much.

Hi Endro,

20. Dale Wherton

Hi Peng, love reading all the comments here. I think I’m asking the same as someone else.
    I’m currently on a 457 and my girlfriend is on a bridging visa to come onto my 457 but I’m looking to change employers asap. Will anything change or defect mine and her visa whole this transfer takes place? Also do I basically do nothing and my new employer would have to do all the paperwork?

Hi Dale,
      Sorry but I can’t provide advice just based on your comment information due to the recent changes.

21. Shaun Webb

Was wondering if you could give some advice on my situation. Recently I left my employer because of an assault at work by a work colleague. I decided to terminate my employment and have already found another company to take up sponsorship .

Problem is is that this whole process has taken a month now. I have the documents for my nomination and have filed them. As of yet I’ve heard nothing from the department. My question is can I do work on my abn whole I wait for this or would I be breaching my visa conditions?

Obviously I don’t want to breach my conditions, however not having worked for four weeks has put me in a very bad financial situation therefore I need to work, if I cant work and I have to wait then what am I supposed to do?

Thanks Shaun

Hi Shaun,
      Sorry but you can only work for your approved sponsor as per visa conditions:
      Condition 8107
      This condition is only relevant to a primary holder of a subclass 457 visa. You must:
      only work in your nominated occupation
      start work within 90 days of arrival in Australia if you were outside Australia when your visa was granted, or within 90 days after your visa was granted if you were already in Australia at the time
      only work for the sponsor, who nominated the position you are working in (if your sponsor is a standard business sponsor and is an Australian business, you can also work for an associated entity of the sponsor)
      not cease employment for a period of more than 60 consecutive days
      obtain any licence, registration or membership necessary to perform your occupation in Australia and comply with any provisions within 90 days:
      after initial arrival in Australia on this visa
      from date of visa grant if already in Australia
      if your visa was granted on or after 1 December 2015 you must also:
      not engage in work that is inconsistent with your licence, registration or membership
      notify us in writing as soon as practicable if your application for the licence, registration or membership is refused
      notify us in writing as soon as practicable if your licence, registration or membership ceases to be in force or is revoked or cancelled.

2. Dave

Thanks for asking this Shaun.

I’m in the exact same position as you, 457 visa from Feb last year. I left work in Feb (resigned: similar circumstances to yours), found a new job, signed a contract on the 3rd March and am still awaiting the transfer.

Given the fact that this is a transfer, and not a brand new application – and furthermore, that with a brand new application you get a bridging visa that allows you to work ahead of the application being finalised – it’s really not a fair situation we (and others) find ourselves in.

Dave

22. Nabe

Hai peng, im curently holding 457 visa. then im working to my sponsored for 8 months., can i find another jobs or another sponsored? Can i resign asap?. What shall i do?Theni still have 90 days to find another sponsor? ..

Hi Nabe,
      You can find a different employer – they would need to complete the relevant business sponsorship and nomination applications. Please see above post.

23. Ronald

My application is on process for 457 visa transfer I lodge my papers 4 weeks ago,someone offer me a rsms or 187 visa my question is can I start process my papers now for 187 visa
    Your advice is appreciated
    Ronald

Hi Ronald,
      You can lodge a 187 visa with a different business if you have a current 457 visa.

24. Amila

Excellent article Peng
    Thanks for the humble support to all.

I am in kind of tricky situation as I finished my contract with my original employer and it took me almost 3 months to find a new employer.
    My question is would they notify me before cancelling my visa. Would the cancellation process happen abruptly at ninety days or will it take some time to finalise .(I heard in some cases it was cancelled after few months of due date ).
    Because it will take few more days to my new employer to submit nomination and there are few paper work still to be done.

Hi Amila,
      Yes DIBP’s compliance team should contact you before cancellation if you are in Australia.

25. Maor

Hello team, how much a change of employer fee would be? Who needs to pay for this? Me or the employer?

26. Kev Renshaw

Im currently on a 457 visa. The hospital has asked if I can move to another one of their hospitals a few hours away to help with staff shortages.

Do I need to do anything ?

Kev

Hi Kev,
      You can only work for your approved employer or an associated entity of your approved employer – suggest that you speak with your employer or HR to check whether this is satisfied before you change work location:

Ensure that the visa holder participates in the nominated occupation, program or activity
      You must ensure that the person you have sponsored participates only in the occupation, program or activity for which you nominated them. If you want to engage a visa holder for a different occupation, program or activity, you must lodge a new nomination application. This obligation starts on the day the person you have sponsored is granted a visa. If they already hold a visa when you nominate them, your obligation starts on the day the nomination is approved.
      This obligation ends on the day (whichever is the earliest):
      the sponsored visa holder has a nomination approved for another approved sponsor
      the sponsored visa holder is granted another substantive visa of a different type for which you sponsored them (unless that other visa is a bridging visa, criminal justice visa or enforcement visa
      the sponsored visa holder has left Australia and the relevant visa (and any subsequent bridging visa) is no longer in effect.
      If you are a standard business sponsor, you must employ the person you have sponsored under a written contract of employment. They cannot work for another business, and you cannot supply them to another business. If you were lawfully operating a business in Australia at the time you were approved as a standard business sponsor, the person might work for an associated entity.
      You cannot engage in activities related to the recruitment or hire of the sponsored visa holder to another business unless it is an associated entity and you lawfully operated a business in Australia at the time you were approved as a standard business sponsor (or at the time the terms of your approval were last varied).

The only exception to this rule is if the sponsored visa holder’s occupation is an exempt occupation for the purposes of this obligation.
      The obligation ends on the day the sponsored visa holder is granted another substantive visa of a different subclass from the one they last held. The obligation continues if the sponsored visa holder is granted another subclass 457 visa to continue to work for you.

27. Maas

I want to let a new employer take over my 457 visa. I also want my partner to come as a defacto on my 457 visa which he is currently not at the moment. Can you lodge these two application at the same time? Thanks

28. Pauline

Hello!

What’s the waiting time – if any – between being sponsored and moving to another employer (who is willing to take over sponsorship). Example – visa approved 1st April can the new company start the process 2nd April?
    Thanks!

Hi Pauline,
      Example – visa approved 1st April can the new company start the process 2nd April? Yes in theory you can.

29. Christopher boyle

Hi Peng, my girlfriend is in the process of changing over her 457 visa to another company. The new company have payed the nomination fee and it has being granted. I am defacto on her visa. Will we have to pay visa costs now to change over the sponsorship?

Hi Christopher,
      The 457 nomination approval should have transferred your 457 visa sponsorship to the new business.

1. Christopher boylr

Thanks Peng, and will my defacto change over automatically when my girlfriend changes over her visa.

30. Nilesh

Hi peng im on 457 visa . my resturant already closed and its been three month .so i applied my new nomination from another resturant . Bbefore 90 days .if my new nomination reject then !!can i apply my another nomination from another resturanr or my visa will cancled please help me.

Hi Nilesh,
      Sorry but this would be up to the discretion of the Department’s compliance team – we can’t predict the actions that they will take.
      Compliance team will contact you to give you a chance to respond before any visa cancellation occurs.

31. Abhishek

Hello Friends,

I have seen lot of posts which mentioned about the 457 transfer process from one employer to other.

Can anyone from their experience could confirm the actual transfer processing time? If the new employer initiates the transfer process, then ideally how much time will it take to complete the VISA transfer process?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Abhi

1. Laura

Hi! We applyed on the end of november and we are still waiting the governament’s reply. My immigration agent told me that the processing time it’s 4-6 months! Anyway Good luck👍🏻

32. Rajesh

Hi. I am 2 years into my 457 and intend to change employer. If I do make a change will I be required to wait for another two years before my new employer can sponsor my PR? The two year condition was told to me when I got my visa in 2015

33. Dinusha

Let’s say that my wife comes to Australia with a 457 and I come along as a dependent. If I were to find a job as a specialty registrar, can I change my status to a 457 while I am in country?

Don’t really understand your question.
      Dependent 457 visa holders have full-time and unrestricted work rights.

1. Ingrid

Hi, I’m on a 457 visa here and the boss of my husband want to sponsor him on a 457 visa too but in another state. Can this be done? or i need to resign from my job first then he can apply for his 457 visa.

Hi Ingrid,
          That might be possible.

34. ᴊᴇɴ

I was Working as a employee and my boss willing to sponsor me for [ 457 visa ] , because my husband company is already close and he’s visa was cancelled is it impossible to changed employee?

Thanks in advice

Hi Jen,

35. Sagar

I am currently working for company A and who is sponsoring my 457 Visa.
    Another company B wants to give me employment and they said they will sponsor my 457 Visa.

My question here is if I submit my resignation to company A and if they send a message to Immigration department to cancel my Visa before the sponsorship got transferred to company B, will the company B be able to transfer my visa? How to proceed in this aspect.

Please clarify me on this aspect.

Thanks in advance

Hi Sagar,
      The Department can process company B’s nomination application even if you resign from A.
      Please see above post.

36. Mani

I have received my 457 temporary work permit visa on 08th August 2016. In December 2016 resigned my job from the company who has sponsored 475 Work Permit. I joined new company in India and got very short term opportunity to come to Australia to have few business meetings. So that i have applied new business visa and got granted, and traveled Australia recently.

We notice that there is a demand on the business I have to extent my stay here for required period, so that company lodged my new 457 work permit application and received bridging visa.

The question is here how long it will take to complete the process to approve 457 work permit visa. Its already 6 weeks gone.

How many time we can apply 457 visa transfer for same person. Because 457 visa subject to employer, its valid as long as be with employer who has sponsored. So if any one wanted to change the job the he/she has to get new visa sponsor to transfer from employer 1 to employer 2.

Any restriction or limitation for number of visa transfer. or he/she can apply (n) number of time as long as they can get proper sponsorship

Kindly clarify.

37. Fabiola

Hi I am currently sponsor for 2 yrs and 3 months in a aged care company and I am moving to another company that is able to sponsor me and offer me the PR. I have to work for them 2 yrs again for apply to the PR and what about if my whole sponsor visa is just till november 2018 ?

38. Maor

Hello team, how long would a change of employer request would take? I would like to know this information before hand to be informed.
    In detail, I have a 457 sponsor and I am currently contracted until June 2017 however I don’t want to wait until that date to find another job, is too risky. I will start to look for a job now and I would like to know how long would a change of employer request would take. After obtaining that, I guess notice will start (1 month in my case) so I want to know how long after being considered a final candidate I could be joining a new company – an approximation.
    Thanks for your advice,
    Mayet

39. Mark

Can a company that has changed name and new ABN number recently can sponsor a new 457 visa? Even if their name is not yet transfered because they only applied 2 months ago and will wait for 6 months to change name? Thank you very much

Hi Mark,
      A company needs to be actively operating for it to potentially sponsor 457 visa holders.
      We are sorry but we can’t provide advice just based on the information that you have provided. Please see information in relation to our consultation service if you would like to book a time to discuss your queries: http://peng-cheng-bwdt.squarespace.com/services/

40. simone

I was working for a company that sponsored my. My girlfriend is on my visa as partner.
    I have resigned 2 weeks ago and my last working day is on the 3rd of february. During this week I am going to start the process to transfer my sponsorship to a different company.
    I am wondering is after the 3rd my girlfriend can work or she has to leave the job. I know that I cannot work with another company until my 457 is transferred but what about my girlfriend?

Hoper I made sense.