10 Useful Things to Know About Your Australian 186 Visa

The below are the 10 most common questions that I receive in relation to the Employer Nomination Scheme Subclass 186 visa.

Also, in this post, we outline the eligibility requirements for the 186 visa for the primary visa applicant in detail.

1) I’ve lodged my 186 visa application, and the company has lodged the nomination application. How long is it going to take to process?

According to the Department’s website, processing time is around 5-8 months. We think that this is a pretty good estimate of current processing times. However, this is just an indication of current average processing times. The Department’s processing time can be much longer.

Please do not ask me to predict the processing time for your application, or why there is a long delay with the processing of your application. I honestly do not have an answer for you. If you want an update in relation to your application, you will need to contact the Department.

2) Can I contact DIAC or my case officer directly and ask for an update on my application?

You can certainly do this. It is your application so even if you have a solicitor or migration agent acting for you. You can call up or email yourself and ask for an update.

But do not be surprised if this does not achieve much. Following up with the Department is not going to result in faster processing for your application. It may be difficult to contact your case officer directly, and you may not receive a clear response or any useful information (or any response at all).

3) I’ve lodged my 186 visa application and/or the company has lodged the nomination application. However, ‘something’ has come up and I don’t think that I will be able to work in the nominated position once the visa is approved. What is going to happen?

As part of the application, your sponsor makes the commitment that the nominated position will be available for 2 years on a full-time basis from the date of visa approval. Also, the terms and conditions of your employment cannot exclude the possibility of you extending your employment beyond the initial 2 years.

I am going to assume that sponsor has lodged the 186 nomination application and that the Department has not made a decision yet. You may or may not have lodged the 186 visa application. In this situation, if for whatever reason, the nominated position is no longer available, or if your sponsor is no longer able to make the commitment that is outlined above, then your sponsor’s nomination application no longer meets the eligibility requirements for nomination approval. Once your employer has determined that the eligibility requirements are no longer met, the nomination application should be withdrawn (and any associated visa application should also be withdrawn since the visa application cannot be approved without an approved nomination).

The above scenario can result from any number of causes, and may not be caused by the visa applicant at all. Below are some examples that I have encountered:

a) Due to my sponsor’s business slowing down, my nominated position has been made redundant / my employer is no longer able to provide me with full-time work / my employer cannot make the commitment that the nominated position will be available to me for 2 years from the date of visa approval; and

b) Due to personal circumstances (e.g. illness, situation with family member etc.), I am no longer able to work in the nominated role.

The cause can basically be any reason. It may be due to the action or situation of the sponsor, or the visa applicant. The result should be the same though. A ENS 186 visa is a permanent residency visa that is associated with a particular approved nominated position. If the nomination position is no longer available, or if the role no longer meets the eligibility requirements, then the nomination application should be withdrawn.

4) I have obtained my 186 visa. However, I need to leave my employer before I have completed 2 years of post visa approval employment. What is going to happen to my visa?

I have heard of all sorts of reasons for why people want or need to leave his or her employer. The below are just some examples:

1. My employer is making me do duties which are not in my nominated role – I do not want to do these tasks
  2. My employer is not paying me the salary that was specified in my contract and/or visa application
  3. The ownership of my employing company has changed – I do not get along with the new management / owner
  4. I have been offered a role with another company and I want to take this
  5. My employer no longer needs my services and they have terminated my employment

Once you become an Australian permanent resident, the situation does change a bit. Generally speaking, there is nothing from a migration law perspective that can really prevent you from changing your employer or your role.

People tend to worry about whether their permanent residency visa will be cancelled if they leave their employer before completing 2 years of employment. But I would say that this generally will not occur unless you have provided the Department with ‘false or misleading information, or bogus documents either knowingly or otherwise’.

In my view, even if the Department is informed about your cessation of employment, they will not act to cancel your permanent residency visa unless they are provided with some clear evidence of fraud or misleading behaviour in relation to your visa application.

5) Do I need to work for 2 years on a 457 visa in the nominated position before I can apply for a ENS 186 visa?

Not necessarily. There are three eligibility pathways which you can satisfy in order to obtain a 186 visa. Completing 2 years of work as a 457 visa holder in the nominated role with your sponsoring employer is just one of the pathways.

Have a read of this post which explains the Temporary Residence Transition Stream (i.e. 2 years of employment as a 457 visa holder) and the pathway under the Direct Entry Stream.

6) For the Temporary Residence Transition Stream, can I count work from another employer, or work that I completed while holding a visa other than a 457 visa?

You can only count the duration of your employment as a 457 visa holder (not any other visa). The employment must be with the sponsor for your 186 visa. You cannot count employment with a previous employer.

Your work as a 457 visa holder must be the same role, or a similar role, as the role that is the subject of the 186 visa application (i.e. you cannot count employment with a different role, even if it is with the employer that is sponsoring you for the 186 visa).

7) What is the English language requirement for the 186 visa?

I have outlined English language requirement and the available exemptions. This post also covers the English language requirement for included dependents that are over the age of 18 years.

8) How much should I be paid if I obtain a 186 visa? What if I am not paid the salary specified in my contract and the nomination application?

Have a read of the ‘Market Rate’ requirement. If your sponsor is not paying you the salary specified in my contract and the nomination application, then this is more of a contract law and employment law issue. You can notify the Department, but I am not sure what action, if any, the Department would take in such a situation.

9) I’m on a 457 visa. I can submit a 186 visa application without my employer’s sponsorship?

No. You must be sponsored by an employer in order to lodge a 186 visa application. You cannot even start the online 186 visa application form until your employer has at least started to prepare the 186 nomination application (you need the reference ID from the nomination application in order to start the visa application).

10) Do I need a positive skills assessment outcome for my nominated occupation?

You need a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation if you are applying under the skills assessment pathway of the  Direct Entry Stream.

Main eligibility requirements for 186 visa

In order to obtain a 186 visa, the visa applicant and the employer will need to satisfy a number of requirements, including the following key requirements:

• Employer will need to satisfy the ‘training benchmark’ requirement, which generally means that it will need to provide training to its Australian citizen and permanent resident employees
  • If the visa applicant is applying under the Temporary Residence Transition stream, then the applicant needs to complete 2 years of full-time work as a 457 visa holder
  • If the visa applicant is applying under the Direct Entry stream, then generally speaking the visa applicant will need to obtain a positive skill assessment for the nominated occupation and have 3 years of relevant work experience
  • Visa applicant needs to make the commitment to work in the nominated role for a period of at least 2 years from the date that permanent residency is granted. The employer will also need to make the commitment to ensure that the role available to the visa applicant for that period
  • The role that the visa applicant is nominated to perform needs to align with an eligible occupation on theConsolidated Sponsored Occupation List
  • Visa applicant must satisfy the English requirement for this visa, or one of the available exemptions
  • Visa applicant’s salary must be consistent with the ‘Australian market rate’ for the nominated role

Please note that the above listed requirements are not the only requirements that the visa applicant and the employer/sponsor need to satisfy in order to obtain a 186 visa. The above does outline the key requirements.

requirements

• our willingness take on the difficult cases and achieve the outcomes that our clients want
  • our willingness to cater our services to the precise needs of our clients, including working outside of normal business hours and providing limited assistance where needed such as  helping to resolve a specific issue or issues with a particular application
  • our ability to assist business and private clients from all over Australia and the world! We are based in Sydney NSW, however, we have assisted business and private clients from all over Australia and the world. We have never had issues with assisting clients that we don’t get to meet in person

740 thoughts on “10 Useful Things to Know About Your Australian 186 Visa

1. Graeme

I am currently on a 457 and working as an electrician. I have completed 3 years with my employer now and I am looking to apply for my subclass 186 visa, do I still need to provide a skills assessment as part of my application or is this not relevant as I have worked for my nominated employer for more than 2 years?

Kind regards
    Graeme

1. Graeme

Going back to my previous question, am I required to provide an NSW electrical license as part of my (TRT) subclass 186 application as I do not currently hold an electrical license?

Thanks for your help
        Graeme

Hi Graeme,
          See Department’s website under Visa applicant’s tab: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-#

have the required skills and qualifications for the position (at time of application lodgement you must have the required skills and qualifications for the position you have been nominated for – you must hold any mandatory registration, license or professional membership, or you must already be fully assessed as suitable by the relevant body)

2. Chris

Hi. I lodged my ENS application then i was only able to upload my documents 5 days after. Will my application be in trouble?

3. Neil

I have been working with my employer on 457 for 2 years(31 march 2014 – 31 march 2016). Then I just applied 186 on 20 june 2016.
    Having issues about traning exenditure. My employer have donated 2% each years 2014 , 2015 and 2016 but we found out that 2016 she made $600 short to meet 2% and then she made a further of $600 after we lodged the application.

Just wonder is it works or not?

Please advise. Thank you.

Best regards
    Neil

Hi Neil,

4. Peter

I’m on 457. It’s been almost 2 years. I was just wondering, if i apply 186 visa once i get approval can i leave company immediately or do i have to work another 2 years?

5. Susan

Hope you doing great.
    I just had a query for 186 visa,
    I got a 186 visa from last 5 months(457 to 186), and wondering if bankruptcy gonna effect for PR and citizenship application after 7 months?
    Thanks very much for your help

Susan

Hi Susan,
      I don’t think that the business’ bankruptcy will affect your citizenship application.

6. KrisK

I am currently on a 457 visa as primary with my partner as secondary. Now my partner’s employers have filed for ENS Direct entry 186 visa, where I will be the secondary. Are there any restrictions on work rights for me now? Will the bridging visa that we get once we file a valid 186 allow me to change employers if I want to? Also, when my 457 visa expires and if I am still on bridging visa, can I continue to work for my current employer on that or do I need to apply for a new 457 at that time till we get our 186 approved? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Krisk,
      Lodging a 186 visa doesn’t affect your current 457 visa. You will remain on your current 457 visa until this expires, and then your bridging visa comes into effect.
      You need to check the conditions on your bridging visa for your work rights.

7. Kumar

I got my 186 visa approved last month, but due to personal reason i want to go back to India, will be working with same employer in Indian payroll. So please advise whether it will affect my PR ? Thanks.

8. Bali

Hi,Peng
    I logded my 186 file in 4/10/2016 after finished 2 years 457 visa in customer service manager.
    i just want to know which type of interview will come in these type of case and when i will be expecting it.
    Bali

Hi Bali,
      Generally speaking, the Department doesn’t do interviews for a 186 visa application.

9. Peng

Do I need to wait unit I will have 2 years experience on 457 before my employer can lodge 186 nomination applicant, or my employer can also logede 186 applicant once I only have 1.5 years experience on 457?

Does experience require for 186 direct stream have to be post qualification?

Kind Regard
    Peng

10. Marian

My partner is a secondary applicant on my 186 visa that was granted in July 2015.
    I am about to become Australian citizen, will my partner’s status as Permanent Resident will change after primary applicant (myself) will become citizen?

Cheers,
    Marian

11. Carry

I am currently on a 457 Visa with my employer and in the process of doing a 186 Direct Entry for the Permanent Residency (with Skills Assessment and Employer Nomination). I will go on holidays for 2 months time, can I lodge Employer Nomination and PR application from overseas? I heard of a bridging visa, but I probably will not need it since I am on a 457 Visa still? Can I come back to the country once Permanent Residency Application lodged?
    Thank you!
    Carry

Hi Carry,
      You would need to be in Australia when you lodge your 186 visa if you want to get a bridging visa, but you are allowed to lodge this application when you are outside of Australia.

1. Carry

Thank you so much Peng!

Will I need to inform the immigration department if I travel for longer than 3 months if I am on a 457 visa but on a sabbatical leave?

Jessica

12. Vini

Currently I am on 457 visa and I have almost completed 3 years on my visa. I am going to apply for 186 soon. Will DIBP question why I am applying so late?

Hi Vini,
      No the Department won’t question this – up to you to decide if and when you want to apply.

13. Shashidhar

Hi , my current 457 visa will expire on 22nd Jan 2017 and my employer accepted to nominate me to 186 Direct Entry Visa(I have been working with this employer for the last 9 months). Nomination is not yet submitted.
    My question is am I eligible to get 186 Bridging visa before nomination approval ?. If it is mandatory to approve nomination to get Bridging visa , is there any other way to say in australia in between 457 expiry and 186 nomination approval time gap.

Hi Shashidhar,
      You would get a bridging visa if you lodge a valid 186 visa application – nomination approval doesn’t result in any bridging visa.

1. Shashidhar

Thank you for your response Peng. As you aware we can lodge 186 application before approval of employer nomination or after approval of nomination. So, based on your response if I lodge a valid 186 application before approval of my nomination I am eligible to get bridging visa .Sorry for asking again.I am trying to get more more clarity on this issue.

Hi Shashidhar,
          You would get a bridging visa if you lodge a valid 186 visa application – you don’t need the nomination approval to get a bridging visa.

14. Alejandro

Hello Peng,

For the second applicant (my girlfriend), will the tuition fee for University be the same as citizen if the 186 visa is approved?
    In UTS they refer to this as Commonwealth Supported Place.

Thanks!

1. Alejandro

I guess my question is more about if the second applicant of a 186 is considered a PR with the same rights.
        Because in the UTS website it says:
        “An International student who obtains permanent residency and is enrolled in an undergraduate course will automatically be allocated to a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).”
        (The students with CSP pay local rates)

Thanks!

1. Kaur

Hi Peng thanks for reply, I apply ens in dec , no any responds yet , how long maximam time to ens according to your records thanks kaur

Hi Kaur,
          Sorry but there isn’t any maxmimum processing time – DIBP’s general response is that it will take the time necessary to assess all the legal requirements if you call them.

15. CL

I am currently on visa 457 and nomination for my 186 visa has just been approved and i am currently collecting documents to lodge my application. Am i allowed to leave the country briefly now before lodging the application?

CL

16. Chris Clour

Hey Peng !

Firstly thank you for helping me on a previous question i am truly grateful for the support.

It is just me migrating via the 187 and I am filling out the form 80 and on there it has my brothers (live in uk) and sisters (live in uk), dad and mum (live in uk) as well as my associates (friends x2 Ozzys).

Now these people are not migrating with me, but they are stated on form 80 because immigration request names of family etc…

When looking at the Character requirement i read this…

“Police checks for you and everyone included in your application, whether they are migrating or not,”

Now does mean; my brothers and sisters, dad and mum as well as my associates need a policy check????! Because the “whether they are migrating or not,” makes me question how many police checks i need to obtain.

Best Regards,

Chris

17. Cari Rou

Hi PC,

I have a question for you regarding 186 sub class visa (Employer Nomination). I am the Employer and I am nominating an employee for a 186 visa after she has worked for me for 2 years on a 457 visa. I am doing this nomination without the help of a lawyer. I began the online lodgement today, and got to the end of the 11 pages of questions, and was not asked once to submit a document or any evidence. I have spent weeks gathering all the documents required (as shown on the immigration checklist) so I’m sure this cannot be right. I am wondering, do you only get the chance to submit documents AFTER you have pressed the submit button? I also have not been asked for any payment details yet…

Your help would be greatly appreciated – I don’t want to mess this up for my employee.

Hi Cari,
      You upload the relevant supporting documents after you pay for and lodge the application – you use the same Immiaccount to upload the relevant supporting documents.

18. Md Golam Mostafa

Hi.

I am a medical practitioner.
    I am under 457 visa for more than 10yrs.
    I am currently working for medical practice for more than 2years.
    I have just applied for my Permanent residency through my employer.
    Do I have have to work for the same employer for 2 more years after I get my permanent residency???

19. Jing

I have my 457 visa granted March 2015. Can I ask my employer start the 186 nomination process few months before I satisfy 2 years working conditions? and i lodge the application afterwards?

1. Jing

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean my employer can start nomination application before the 2 year mark?

jing

You can start to prepare the online form before the 2 year mark. You can only lodge after you satisfy the 2 year requirement.

20. Vikas

Hi Peng, I am presently in Australia on a 485 post study work visa. I have nearly 2 years experience from Australia, skill assessment letter, proficient english score, and all together 65 points. Unfortunately, all my experiences are from WA and i did my studies as well in WA. Can i apply for DES 186 visa?? I don’t have any employer to nominate

21. Kaur

Hi peng My friend apply for ens visa nearly 10 months . They got respond from department , we are waiting for third party clearance , my questions is who is third party ,,,,,,,,,,we r not understand pls help thanks

Hi Kaur,
      The Department may have asked another government to complete a check for the purpose of the application.

2. ruchi

hi kaur
      my case is almost same like you. No response from immi yet. Applied in dec last year. Did you hear anything fro immi yet, please let me know if you did.
      ruchi

1. Kaur

Hi Ruchi , no any response yet we r waiting still near 8.5 months , pls let me know if any response , you have any idea which months files are open now thanks

1. ruchi

hey kaur
          yeah almost 9 months here. No response yet. I think they are seeing December files now. They asked us a question and we replied straightaway after that nothing. Please keep me posted if you hear something. I will do the same.
          regards
          ruchi

1. Kaur

Hi Ruchi pls let me know , who ask questions, your file not open yet because my file is not open yet ,,,thanks

22. Jp

Peng,
    I was on 457 for 4 years then employer sponsored a 186 PR visa that was approved in sept 2015. Employer now says they are stopping my employment for convenience not performance after 8 months. The au gov website says there was a commitment that the role or similar be available for 24 months as condition of the visa. Employer says they understand the commitment to DIBP, but not real commitment as employer will call it needs of the business. My question is there legal recourse against the company for breaking this 24 month commitment? Any group that specialises in this type of situation?

JP,
      You’ll need to speak with a contract/employer law solicitor – these aren’t migration law issues.

23. Mandy

My name is Mandy. My sister had apply for PR 186 in 10th December 2015 after completing 2 years. We still waiting for result no answers yet do you have any idea why it’s taking so long. It’s now 7 months 20 days over no news. We are so worry why so late?
    Mandy

Hi Mandy,
      Department’s processing time in relation to employer sponsored permanent residency visa is around 6-8 months or longer.
      We are sorry but we don’t have information in relation to the Department’s internal processes so we can only provide average processing time information for standard applications. We suggest that you speak with the Department if you need specific information in relation to your application.

24. neena

Hi I am registered nurse working in a government hospital for last 7 months and I was working this job in another place for 3 months, continue current job, do i need to skill assessment before apply for 186 visa.

25. Mandy

Hi peng
    I am working on 457.my employer changed the ABN NO. And name of company.can I eligible for apply Ens?
    Thanks with regard.

Hi Mandy,

26. Raj

I got PR through 186 visa last week and just wondering that now I can change my full time work to part time or not…

Hi Kaur,

27. Kaur

Hi i have applied 186 visa in oct 2015 & havent heard anything till date . What should i do to find out whats going on regarding my application & how long it will take

Hi Kaur,
      You would need to contact the Department if you need specific information in relation to your application.

28. Archana Poudel

Thank you so much for your reply.
    I don’t know if I am in the right section but I am enquiring for my friend who is in Brazil.
    She was here in Australia before on student visa. She completed her Masters of Medical Reseach – Biomedical Science through Griffith University. She saw a list that says Skilled Visa for University Tutor.
    Can she come to Australia as a EVisitor then apply here? She has a mother that resides in Australia has citizenship and married to Australian.
    Thank you kindly for your information

1. B patel

We have case officer allocated for 186 visa file. And additional information requested on 10th June and have to provide in 28 days. We have uploaded required additional documents on 14th June. But we are still waiting for the decision. Is case officer is waiting for 28days to finish or something else?
        Please share your thoughts.
        Thanks Peng

Hi Patel,
          It can take the Department 3-4 weeks or longer to make a decision once they have all required information.

2. chris

Hi patel,
          i have got simialr case as yours ,have you heard anything so far from case officer

29. Manpreet

Hi Peng I was on 457 vis and I applied 187 with different owner. Can I leave work for 457 now because I have signed contracts with different owner.

30. Reet

Hi peng
    I apply for 186 visa. I lodge my file 9th of June. And I submit my medical examination on 20 June. Could you plz tell me how long I need to wait. What is the procedure. Do I need to aaply for visa after nomination. Or I will get the visa straight away. Thanks.

31. Fer

My employer is ready to lodge the nomination for my 186 Visa under transition stream. I am currently working under 457 Visa with them for 3 years already.
    My employee did a nomination before but they made it under Direct Entry which I let it expired (it reached 6 months on April-2016).
    1 – Is there any problem for my employer to raise a new nomination under transition stream now?
    2 – if we (my wife and I) did medical assessment for the first nomination under direct entry but we didn’t applied… Can we re use these medical assessment for this new nomination?
    3 – what happens if my wife is pregnant at the moment of applying to this new visa?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Hi Fer,
      1. You can apply of the new application satisfies the relevant requirements.
      2. Health examinations are valid for 12 months.
      3. Department will likely wait until she gives birth, and your newborn is added to the application before they make a decision.

32. Evan

Can the 3 year work experience requirement for the ‘186 VISA Direct Entry Stream’ be substituted with other qualifications on the AQF?

I have a ‘Bachelor of Honours Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma’ which is ranked Level 8 on the AQF. I have an honours degree in Marketing Management and would like to be sponsored by my current employer as a Marketing Manager but I do not have 3 years of relevant work experience.

I know that in some cases, work experience can be substituted for Degrees & Certificates.

So can my AQF Level 8 ranking substitute for the 3 year work experience for VISA 186 under the direct entry stream?

Evan

33. aisshwaria

Hi peng chen
    An employee is sent to Australia from India for a official purpose. Is it necessary that the parent company should be situated in Australia? Can he work in the subsidiary company which is situated in Australia? what are the requirements and the type of visa? Thank you in advance

Hi Aisshwaria,

34. Jess

Hoping you can advise! My 186 nomination and application went in on 21st of March and I am currently waiting for it to be processed….

I have been sponsored as a corporate services manager within a NSW Health hospital and they have just offered me another role within the hospital network as a project manager. I could probably arrange to be seconded to the 2nd role keeping my current role as my primary position – would I be able to take this role on this basis without affecting my current application?

Thanks so much

Jess

Hi Jess,

35. Mohit T

I have an approved nomination for the 186 Visa and have lodged the Visa application ( Final stage) last month , do i have to wait again for 5-8 months as outlined in the processing times ?

Also my IELTS has expired as of Jan 2016 will i need to reappear again ?

Hi Mohit,
      Yes you would need to wait the processing time again.
      IELTS just needs to be valid at the time of lodgement – this can expire after lodgement.

36. Pat

Hi Peng ! Could u let me know which month 186 visa files are handling by immigration , because I applied in feb 2016 still didn’t hear anything it would be help if u let me know thanx in advance have a good day

Hi Pat,
      Department’s processing time is around 6-8 months – think they are looking at applications lodged towards the end 2015.

37. Peter

The situation is: my sponsor has lodged the 186 nomination but I haven’t lodged my application, and I have a new born baby. Would I be able to include my baby in my application? Does my sponsor need to update something to their nomination process?

Peter

Hi Peter,
      You can include dependent family members in a 186 visa application. The sponsor can upload a letter to the nomination application confirming their support for the inclusion of your new born in the visa application.